My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recently published article:

Halpin LR, Towers JR, & Ford JKB (2018) First record of common bottlenose
dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) in Canadian Pacific waters. Mar. Biodivers.
Rec. 11:3

This article is open access at https://rdcu.be/L3YF. Please contact
luke.hal...@gmail.com for further information.

ABSTRACT

Background: Common bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) are distributed
globally in tropical and warm temperate waters with coastal and offshore
ecotypes known. In the eastern North Pacific Ocean, common bottlenose
dolphins are typically found in offshore waters as far as 41° N and in
coastal waters as far as 38° N. Despite considerable survey effort, the
species has not been previously recorded in Canadian Pacific waters.

Results: On 29 July 2017, a group of approximately 200 common bottlenose
dolphins were observed together with approximately 70 false killer whales
(Pseudorca crassidens) in waters of 16.5° C at 50° N during a pelagic
seabird and marine mammal survey off the west coast of northern Vancouver
Island, British Columbia, Canada.

Conclusions: This sighting represents the only occurrence of common
bottlenose dolphins recorded in Canadian Pacific waters and, to our
knowledge, is the most northerly record for this species in the eastern
North Pacific. It is also the first sighting record of false killer whales
in non-coastal waters in British Columbia, Canada. The occurrence of both
species may be associated with a prolonged period of warming in offshore
regions of the eastern North Pacific.

    regards,    Jared Towers

Alert Bay BC

jrtow...@gmail.com