Dear colleagues,

My co-author Séverine Methion and I are pleased to announce our new
publication:
Bruno Díaz López & Séverine Methion (2018) Does interspecific competition drive
patterns of habitat use and relative density in harbour porpoises? Marine
Biology (2018) 165:92. http://doi.org/10.1007/s00227-018-3345-8

ABSTRACT
Determining the drivers that are responsible for the fine-scale distribution of
cetacean species is fundamental to understand better how they respond to
changes in their environment. We utilized information theoretic approach to
carry out a compre-hensive investigation of the key environmental and
anthropogenic correlates of habitat use and relative density of harbour
porpoises. In all, 273 daily boat surveys over a period of 38 months, between
April 2014 and November 2017, were spent in the field monitoring 9417 km along
the coastal and shelf waters of Northwest Spain. Throughout this period, there
were 70 encounters with harbour porpoises and 712 encounters with common
bottlenose dolphins. The observed unequal use of available habitat indicates
that harbour porpoises present a fine-scale pattern of habitat selection along
the study area, which is likely related to the variation in oceanographic
variables and human disturbance mainly caused by marine traffic and fisheries.
While differences in habitat use between harbour porpoises and bottlenose
dolphins were observed, interspecific competition with bottlenose dolphins (as
competitive exclusion hypotheses) did not appear to play an important role in
the distribution and relative density of harbour porpoises. These findings
highlight the importance of considering both environmental and anthropogenic
variables in ecological studies, in addition to highlighting the importance of
using a multi-species ecology approach in research and conservation management
planning.

A read-only version of the paper is available here: https://rdcu.be/MItq

Please do not hesitate to ask me for any question regarding our study or to
request a PDF copy of the article: br...@thebdri.com

Bruno Díaz López Ph.D
Chief biologist and Director
The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
Avenida Beiramar 192, O Grove 36980, Pontevedra, Spain
www.thebdri.com
0034 684248552

This email is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and the contents may be
legally privileged or contain proprietary and private informations. It is
intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this email. If
received in error, please notify the sender and delete the message from your
system immediately. Please note that neither the Bottlenose Dolphin Research
Institute BDRI nor the sender accept any responsibility for any viruses and it
is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any). Thank
you for your cooperation.