Hi all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our new publication in Current
Biology:

King SL, Friedman W, Allen SJ, Gerber L, Jensen F, Wittwer  S, Connor RC,
Krützen M (2018) Bottlenose dolphins retain individual vocal labels in
multi-level alliances. Current Biology. DOI:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2018.05.013

human societies, and vocal communication is known to play a key role in
facilitating such complex human behaviours. In fact, complex communication may
be a feature of the kind of social cognition required for the formation of
social alliances, facilitating both partner choice and the execution of
coordinated behaviours. As such, a compelling avenue for investigation is what
role flexible communication systems play in the formation and maintenance of
cooperative partnerships in other alliance-forming animals. Male bottlenose
dolphins in some populations form complex multi-level alliances, where
individuals cooperate in the pursuit and defence of an important resource,
access to females. These strong relationships can last for decades and are
critical to each male’s reproductive success. Convergent vocal accommodation is
used to signal social proximity to a partner or social group in many taxa, and
it has long been thought that allied male dolphins also converge onto a shared
signal to broadcast alliance identity. Here, we combine a decade of data on
social interactions with dyadic relatedness estimates to show that male
dolphins that form multi-level alliances in an open social network retain
individual vocal labels that are distinct from those of their allies. Our
results differ from earlier reports of signature whistle convergence among
males that form stable alliance pairs. Instead, they suggest that individual
vocal labels play a central role in the maintenance of differentiated
relationships within complex nested alliances.

The paper can be accessed here:
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(18)30615-8

All the best,

Stephanie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stephanie L. King, PhD
Branco Weiss Fellow - Society in Science
Centre for Evolutionary Biology
School of Biological Sciences
University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009
Ph 0864881773 (W) 0447 265840 (M)

www.sharkbaydolphins.org

[49454AF0-085F-47E1-BF1C-A677692EEBF4.png]

Please visit my homepage<http://slking.weebly.com/> to find out more about my
research.

“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the
office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” — Jack Kerouac