Dear MARMAM members,

My co-authors and I are pleased to annonce the publication of our new
manuscript " Using passive acoustic monitoring
to assess humpback whale occurrence and breeding activity around La Réunion
Island" in the Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science.

Ceyrac L., Barreau E, Modi A., Estrade V. & Dulau V. (2018). Using passive
acoustic monitoring to assess humpback whale occurence and breeding activity
around La Réunion Island. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science.
Special Issue 1/ 2018 65-73.

Abstract:
Humpback whales use the coastal waters of La Réunion Island seasonally from
June to October. Their distribution is relatively well-known on the west coast,
which provides suitable breeding habitat, however little is known about their
use and movement along the south and east coast of the island. Three autonomous
acoustic recorders were deployed during the breeding season of 2016 off the
west, south and east coasts to investigate spatial and temporal variations in
humpback whale occurrence around the island. The dataset consisted of 10 minute
acoustic recordings every hour, continuously from mid-June to early September
from these three locations. Song and social call events were discriminated and
their total durations were calculated and expressed as a percentage of the
total recording duration per day. Off the west and south coast, social calls
were distributed fairly homogenously over the season, while songs occurred over
a shorter time period, with two significant peaks observed in mid-July and
early-August. Off the east coast very few vocalizations were detected. These
results demonstrated that humpback whales preferentially use the west coast of
the island for breeding. In this area, daily variations in singing activity
were observed. Singers appeared to be more active at night and during the
morning, when less boat traffic was detected.

Feel free to get in touch with me at laura.cey...@globice.org if you would like
a PDF copy of the full text.

Many thanks,

Laura Ceyrac