Dear MARMAM-Users,

We are pleased to announce that the following new paper has been published
online: "Empirical measures of harbor seal behavior and avoidance of an
operational tidal turbine" :

Joy, Ruth, Jason D. Wood, Carol E. Sparling, Dom J. Tollit, Andrea E.
Copping, and Bernie J. McConnell. "Empirical measures of harbor seal
behavior and avoidance of an operational tidal turbine." *Marine Pollution
Bulletin* 136 (2018): 92-106.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.08.052

ABSTRACT
There is global interest in marine renewable energy from underwater tidal
turbines. Due to overlap in animal habitat with locations for tidal
turbines, the potential for collisions has led to concern around strike
risk. Using data from tagged harbor seals collected before construction and
after operation of the SeaGen tidal turbine in Northern Ireland, this study
quantifies risks of an operational turbine to harbor seals by taking into
account turbine characteristics, tidal state, and seal behavior. We found
68% spatial avoidance (95% C.I., 37%, 83%) by harbor seals within 200 m of
the turbine. When additionally accounting for variation in seal occupancy
over depth and tidal flows, there is an overall reduction in collision risk
from 1.29 to 0.125 seals per tidal cycle (90.3% reduction; (95% C.I., 83%,
98%)) compared to risk calculated under assumptions of uniform habitat use.
This demonstrates the need to incorporate environmental conditions to
properly assess strike risk.

Free access to the article will be available until the end of October 2018,
via
the following link:

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1XiSy,ashq8Ak

For any questions do not hesitate to contact me at: r...@smruconsulting.com