We are pleased to announce our most recent publication in Nature Communications
entitled "Baleen whale cortisol levels reveal a physiological response to 20th
century whaling", a copy of the paper can be found here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07044-w.pdf

Authors: SJ Trumble, SA Norman, DD Crain, F Mansouri, ZC Winfield, R Sabin, C
Potter, CM Gabriele, S Usenko

Abstract: One of the most important challenges researchers and managers
confront in conservation ecology is predicting a population’s response to
sub-lethal stressors. Such predictions have been particularly elusive when
assessing responses of large marine mammals to past anthropogenic pressures.
Recently developed techniques involving baleen whale earplugs combine age
estimates with cortisol measurements to assess spatial and temporal
stress/stressor relationships. Here we show a relationship between
baseline-corrected cortisol levels and corresponding whaling counts of fin,
humpback, and blue whales in the Northern Hemisphere spanning the 20th century.
We also model the impact of alternative demographic and environmental factors
and determine that increased anomalies of sea surface temperature over a
46-year mean (1970–2016) were positively associated with cortisol levels. While
industrial whaling can deplete populations by direct harvest, our data
underscore a widespread stress response in baleen whales that is peripheral to
whaling activities or associated with other anthropogenic change.

Corresponding authors: Dr. Stephen Trumble: stephen_trum...@baylor.edu and Dr.
Sascha Usenko: sascha_use...@baylor.edu

Thank you for your time,

Dani Crain

--
Danielle Crain

Present Your PhD (PyPhD) Co-founder and Presenter | Est. 2017
Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Graduate Student Speaker Series
Co-Organizer | Est. 2017
Baylor University, LEAP | Doctoral Candidate, 2019
Duke University | MEM, 2012
UC Santa Cruz | B.Sc, 2009
E-mail: dani_cr...@baylor.edu
<http://sites.baylor.edu/trumblelab/dani-crain-phd-student/>https://danicrain.netlify.com/