Dolphin echolocation behaviour during active long-range target approaches
Michael Ladegaard, Jason Mulsow, Dorian S. Houser, Frants Havmand Jensen, Mark
Johnson, Peter Teglberg Madsen, James J. Finneran
Journal of Experimental Biology 2019 222: jeb189217 doi: 10.1242/jeb.189217
Published 25 January 2019

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to present our publication titled
Dolphin echolocation behaviour during active long-range target approaches.

If this sounds remotely interesting then you might enjoy our movie of how the
echolocation behaviour may change as a dolphin approaches a target (Movies 1
and 2, supplementary info:
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/222/2/jeb189217.supplemental ).

In our study, we show that long-range (>100 m) echolocation in free-swimming
dolphins may involve the production of click packets and subsequent reception
of echo streams. This markedly differs from the typical click-echo-click-echo
mode of echolocation that is observed in most toothed whale echolocation
studies. Our data also suggests that dolphins not always adjust their clicking
rates so that a target echo is received before the emission of another outgoing
click, which is also very different from how echolocation is generally
understood and described.

If you would like to read more about our study, you may access the full
publication here:
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/222/2/jeb189217

Alternatively, please send me an email if you would like a pdf.

Best,
Michael
Michael Ladegaard
Postdoc
building 1130, room 110
Mobile: (+45) 4076 4035
Email: michael.ladega...@bios.au.dk<mailto:m...@au.dk>
Web:   Michael
Ladegaard<http://pure.au.dk/portal/en/persons/id(7365cdb9-ab50-4488-9839-034eb5c3cd5e).html>

Department of Bioscience - Zoophysiology
Aarhus University
C. F. Møllers Allé 3, building 1131
8000 Aarhus C
Email: m...@au.dk<mailto:m...@au.dk>
Web:   http://bios.au.dk/en/

Lab:    http://marinebioacoustics.com/

ABSTRACT
Echolocating toothed whales generally adjust click intensity and rate according
to target range to ensure that echoes from targets of interest arrive before a
subsequent click is produced, presumably facilitating range estimation from the
delay between clicks and returning echoes. However, this click–echo–click
paradigm for the dolphin biosonar is mostly based on experiments with
stationary animals echolocating fixed targets at ranges below ∼120 m.
Therefore, we trained two bottlenose dolphins instrumented with a sound
recording tag to approach a target from ranges up to 400 m and either touch the
target (subject TRO) or detect a target orientation change (subject SAY). We
show that free-swimming dolphins dynamically increase interclick interval (ICI)
out to target ranges of ∼100 m. TRO consistently kept ICIs above the two-way
travel time (TWTT) for target ranges shorter than ∼100 m, whereas SAY switched
between clicking at ICIs above and below the TWTT for target ranges down to ∼25
m. Source levels changed on average by 17log10(target range), but with
considerable variation for individual slopes (4.1 standard deviations for
by-trial random effects), demonstrating that dolphins do not adopt a fixed
automatic gain control matched to target range. At target ranges exceeding ∼100
m, both dolphins frequently switched to click packet production in which
interpacket intervals exceeded the TWTT, but ICIs were shorter than the TWTT.
We conclude that the click–echo–click paradigm is not a fixed echolocation
strategy in dolphins, and we demonstrate the first use of click packets for
free-swimming dolphins when solving an echolocation task.