On behalf of my co-authors and myself, I am delighted to bring to your
attention the publication of our last research published by the scientific
journal Progress in Oceanography.

Díaz López B, Methion S, Giralt Paradell O (2019) Living on the edge: Overlap
between a marine predator’s habitat use and fisheries in the Northeast Atlantic
waters (NW Spain).
Progress in Oceanography. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2019.04.004

The article can be found in the following link:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079661118302568

Please feel free to contact me to request a pdf at: br...@thebdri.com

ABSTRACT

The impact of commercial fisheries on marine top predators is currently the
focus of considerable international concern. In spite of the recognition of the
competition between fisheries and marine predators for the same resources, few
comprehensive assessments of the level of overlap between marine predators and
fisheries have been conducted. Data from 273 daily boat surveys over a period
of 4 years along the northwestern coast of Spain were used to assess the
environmental, topographic, and anthropogenic correlates of habitat use and
relative density of short-beaked common dolphins. Moreover, the degree of
vulnerability of this marine top predator to coastal fisheries was assessed by
identifying the type of fisheries associated with the presence of common
dolphins. Our results reported that common dolphin presents a fine-scale
pattern of habitat use, with an unequal use of available habitat and varying
relative abundance, which was mostly related to the variation in environmental,
topographic, and anthropogenic variables. The high occurrence of common
dolphins in zones characterized by a high bottom trawl fishing pressure was
indirectly linked to the susceptibility of these marine predators to fishing
activities. These findings can be used as a relevant indicator of the degree of
vulnerability of common dolphins to human pressure providing comprehensive
information on which to base conservation and management strategies.

Ocean, GAMs

Best regards,

Bruno Díaz López Ph.D
Chief biologist and Director
The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
Avenida Beiramar 192, O Grove 36980, Pontevedra, Spain
www.thebdri.com
0034 684248552

Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Instagram. Mention us on Twitter.

This email is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and the contents may be
legally privileged or contain proprietary and private informations. It is
intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this email. If
received in error, please notify the sender and delete the message from your
system immediately. Please note that neither the Bottlenose Dolphin Research
Institute BDRI nor the sender accept any responsibility for any viruses and it
is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any). Thank
you for your cooperation.