Do you love the ocean? Looking for an exciting new career that will allow you
to travel and observe marine wildlife? Are you hard working, flexible, and a
team player? Then look no further and join the growing industry of Protected
Species Observers (PSO)!  AIS is a nationwide leader in providing protected
species monitoring services to government agencies and private companies
operating in the marine environment.

Our Protected Species Observer training curriculum was created by NMFS approved
PSOs and AIS scientists, in consultation with BOEM, BSEE, and NMFS staff.
Individuals that successfully complete the training and meet the minimum
qualifications described below, may be eligible to serve on offshore enterprise
projects as a professional PSO, compliant with BSEE and NMFS standards.

Based in the US Northeast, AIS is near one of the richest offshore wildlife
refuges in the world. During our three day training in historic downtown New
Bedford, you'll experience two days of 'in class content' and one day of
in-situ training aboard the FV Gunsmoke, putting your new skills to the test
out on Stellwagen Bank  National Marine Sanctuary. In between sessions, you'll
be free to explore the town where Ishmael's story began and even explore the
New Bedford Whaling Museum.

Trainees will receive marine species and behavior identification training
through activities designed to simulate real in-field detection events.
Throughout the course trainees will participate in active discussions and
exercises to ensure a comprehensive understanding of topics.  Our training will
introduce you to:

*         Sound in the Sea

*         Federal Legislations and Regulations

*         Protected  Species Identification including: whales, dolphins,
turtles, seals, manatees and fish that are covered under the Endangered Species
Act and Marine Mammal Protection Act in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico

*         Roles and Responsibilities of a PSO

*         Monitoring and Communication Techniques

*         Data Management and Reporting

*         Hands on practice with 'Tools of the Trade'

*         Life at Sea

*         Meet a PSO!
When is the training?
July 29-31, 2019
Where is the training taking place?
New Bedford, MA

How much does the course cost?
The three day training is $675 per person. This includes classroom and in situ
training by our highly experienced training staff, a training manual, daily
lunches, access to PSO equipment during the class, and vessel charter fees for
the offshore training component.

What am I responsible for?
Travel to and from the training and accommodations. AIS will send you
information on our group rate with a local hotel once you have registered for
the training course.

I'm ready to be a PSO!
Welcome to the first step in becoming a BOEM/NMFS compliant Protected Species
Observer! To register for the course, head to our website
http://aisobservers.com/wordpress/protected-species-observer-training/ to fill
in the required fields and submit your resume. We'll follow up with an email
confirming your enrollment and payment options.  Please call or email Kathryn
Roy with any questions 774-392-7127,
kathr...@aisobservers.com<mailto:kathr...@aisobservers.com>