Dear all,

my collegues and I are glad to inform the MARMAM Community about the
publication of our paper on spatiotemporal distribution of bearded seal
vocalizations in Kongsfjorden, published in Polar Biology.

de Vincenzi G., Parisi I., Torri M., Papale E., Mazzola S., Nuth C., Buscaino
G. Influence of environmental parameters on the use and spatiotemporal
distribution of the vocalizations of bearded seals (Erignathus barbatus) in
Kongsfjorden, Spitsbergen. Polar Biol (2019).
https://doi.org/10.1007/s00300-019-02514-3

Abstract
In this study, we used long-term passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) to improve
knowledge about the use and spatiotemporal
distribution of Erignathus barbatus vocalisations. Two autonomous passive
acoustic recorders were deployed between August
2014 and July 2015 in the inner and outer parts of the Kongsfjorden (Svalbard
Islands, Norway) resulting in 1728 h of data
recorded and 17,220 vocalisations detected. We investigated the vocalisation
occurrence with respect to the presence of ice
in the fjord (sea ice and glacier iceberg) and to the light cycle. The
vocalisation rate varied significantly daily and monthly,
and a correlation to the light and darkness turnover was shown during the
period between the end of February and the first
part of April. Bearded seal vocalisations, which started on 12 February and
ceased on 22 June, intensified with the ice coverage
peak but also continued during ice retreat, coinciding with the mating season.
Additionally, a spatial displacement was
highlighted from the inner to the external part of Kongsfjorden in the second
part of May corresponding to the disappearance
of sea ice within the fjord. This study highlights the ability of PAM to be a
useful tool for both understanding abiotic and
biotic processes in the marine environment, and ultimately the potential
interactions between them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me (giovanni de vincenzi at:
gioggio.devince...@gmail.com) for a private full text and for any questions.

Best regards,
Giovanni

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png]<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>