Cascadia Research Collective in Olympia, Washington is now accepting volunteers
for U.S. west coast and Hawaiʻi research for fall of 2019 and winter and spring
of 2020!

Cascadia Research Collective (CRC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit research and
education organization founded in 1979. Most of our research is focused on
whale and dolphin populations along the west coast of North America and in
Hawaiʻi. For more information about Cascadia and our research please visit
www.cascadiaresearch.org<http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/>

We are seeking volunteers to help with our U.S. west coast and Hawaiʻi research
projects. Both volunteer positions are office-based positions in Olympia,
Washington.

We are currently filling positions for:

Fall (September-December)

Winter (January-March)

Spring (April-June)

Volunteer positions are unpaid, office-based positions in Olympia, WA and
housing is not provided.

International applicants will also be considered, but it is the responsibility
of the applicant to acquire necessary visas and documentation.

Position Details:

CRC gives priority to juniors or seniors with a science background who are
seeking academic credit as well as those enrolled in (or planning to attend)
graduate school in a marine science-related field. A full time commitment (40
hours per week) is preferred. Volunteer opportunities are generally three
months in length, although exceptions can be made depending on the academic
calendar of the college or university.

Much of CRC’s work involves photo identification, using natural markings unique
to each individual to catalog and track individuals over time. This allows us
to study association patterns and movements over extended periods of time,
revealing information on population structure and social organization.
Volunteers will spend a large portion of their time comparing new photographs
to those in our existing catalogs, and may additionally be involved in digital
image processing and data entry.

Additionally, volunteers may have opportunities to participate in Washington
state stranding response, which may include beach surveys, data and specimen
collection, data entry, and assisting in necropsies of pinnipeds & cetaceans.

US West Coast Research: Volunteers will assist staff on our long-term photo-ID
studies of baleen whales, including humpback, blue, and gray whales off the US
West Coast and the inside waters of Washington state.  For more information,
see www.cascadiaresearch.org<http://www.cascadiaresearch.org>

Hawaiʻi Research: Volunteers will assist staff on our long-term photo-ID
studies of a variety of species of odontocetes (e.g., rough-toothed dolphins,
false killer whales, beaked whales) found in Hawaiian waters. For more
information, see www.cascadiaresearch.org/hawaii.htm

For a full description of the volunteer positions available, please visit:
www.cascadiaresearch.org/interns.htm<http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/interns.htm>

[http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/files/pictures/DSC_1910.JPG]<http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/interns.htm>
Interns and volunteers<http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/interns.htm>
Current and Past Interns & Volunteers | Graduate Students About Cascadia
Research
www.cascadiaresearch.org

Photo identification requires a high degree of focus and attention to detail,
and volunteers can expect to spend the majority of their time comparing
photographs.

Successful applicants should have the following skills:

- strong communication skills

- focus and attention to detail

- willingness to spend long hours in front of a computer

- ability to work independently

If you are interested in volunteering with Cascadia, please visit our website
and send a CV (including references and their contact information), two
professional letters of recommendation and a letter of interest that describes
why you are applying for the position and how the experience will help you be
successful in meeting long-term goals.

For a US west coast project volunteer position please send the information to:

Kiirsten Flynn: kfl...@cascadiaresearch.org<mailto:kfl...@cascadiaresearch.org>

For a Hawaiʻi project volunteer position please send the information to:

Sabre Mahaffy:
mahaf...@cascadiaresearch.org<mailto:mahaf...@cascadiaresearch.org>

If you would like to be considered for either, please indicate that in your
letter and send to both.

Sabre Mahaffy, M.Sc.
Research Biologist
Cascadia Research Collective