Dear Marmam folks,

I thought it would be of general enough interest to the Marmam community to
share with you some of the work that John E. Reynolds, III was doing when he
passed away in December 2017, and which has just now been published. For those
who didn’t know John, he was senior scientist at Mote Marine Laboratory, and
long-time chair of the U.S. Marine Mammal Commission and (before that) chair of
MMC’s Committee of Scientific Advisors.

John, Sherryl Gilbert, and I were working on an analysis of lessons learned
from the Deepwater Horizon disaster, and were in the process of writing it up
when he passed. The resulting article, a forum piece in the journal BioScience,
is entitled “Improving the integration of restoration and conservation in
marine and coastal ecosystems: Lessons from the Deepwater Horizon disaster.” It
was published online this week, is open access, and is available here:
https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biz103.

The paper describes the challenges of learning and applying conservation
lessons from the Deepwater Horizon and previous oil industry disasters, and
culminates in our joining with the many voices in our community who have long
called for an ocean ethic. Though it may seem pie-in-the-sky to pit calls for
an “ocean ethic” against the neoliberal forces of oil exploration, John was
forever optimistic about soldiering on, despite the odds. We honor and remember
him with this publication and hope that it contributes to further consideration
of the values and advocacy needed to protect our marine and coastal species and
ecosystems.

Sincerely,

Rich Wallace

--

Richard L. Wallace
Professor, Department of Environmental Studies