Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of all co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our
article about Toxoplasmosis and Sarcocystis spp. infection in wild pinnipeds of
the Brazilian coast.

Reisfeld L, Sacristán C, Ferreira Machado E, Sánchez-Sarmiento AM and others
(2019) Toxoplasmosis and Sarcocystis spp. infection in wild pinnipeds of the
Brazilian coast. Dis Aquat Org 136:235-241. https://doi.org/10.3354/dao03410

In this study the presence of T. gondii and Sarcocystis spp. was surveyed in 51
stranded pinnipeds from Brazil.  Immunohistochemical and molecular assays were
employed in those cases compatible with Sarcocystidae infection. T. gondii
cysts were detected in the central nervous system and heart of a South American
fur seal (Arctocephalus australis), associated with meningoencephalitis,
myocarditis and endocarditis, and subsequently confirmed by
immunohistochemistry.  Four additional specimens - two Subantarctic fur seals
(A. tropicalis), one Antarctic fur seal (A. gazella) and another South American
fur seal - presented intrasarcoplasmic cysts compatible with Sarcocystis spp.
(all negative to Sarcocystis neurona immunohistochemistry) in muscle samples,
without associated inflammatory response. The B1 gene was amplified in the five
pinnipeds infected by Sarcocystidae protozoans. To our knowledge, this is the
first report of toxoplasmosis in wild South American pinnipeds and of
Sarcocystis spp. in South American and Subantarctic fur seals.

You can discover more in the links:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31724556  and
https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v136/n3/p235-241/

For further questions please e-mail at
laura...@aquariodesaopaulo.com.br<mailto:laura...@aquariodesaopaulo.com.br>

Best regards

Laura Reisfeld

DVM, MSc,

Aquario de Sao Paulo
Laboratory of  Wildlife Comparative Pathology - LAPCOM

School of  Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences - FMVZ
University of São Paulo (Brazil)