The Montenegro Dolphin Research is a scientific project run by Marine Mammals
Research Association (DMAD). Our study is the only long term research study of
marine mammals in Montenegrin and Albanian coastal waters.  We aim to address
questions about marine mammal abundance, distribution and behavior, define
critical habitats and investigate the impact of major threats, ranging from
tourism to seismic practices.  Our wider attention focuses on the promotion and
implementation of awareness initiatives targeted at the local community,
particularly youth and women.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We offer several volunteering and internship positions: this is a valuable
opportunity for graduates, that wish to gain experience in the marine mammal
research field, and undergraduates, that would like to obtain internship
academic credits.  It could be used to develop a scientific project for BSc and
MSc thesis. However, we are also open to accept applications from anyone whose
love for dolphins is strong and sincere.
Opportunities are available starting from February 2019 onwards. The minimum
duration of the placements is 2 MONTHS, with possible exceptions for skilled
candidates.
FIELD WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES-Performing land-based surveys at least three
times a week, including sunrise and sunset hours;-Performing boat-based surveys
once a week, weather allowing-Collecting dolphins sighting and behavior data,
as well as environmental and anthropogenic data;-Operating theodolite and
managing its software Pythagoras;-Data entry and analysis;-Cataloging and
matching individuals of target species for photo-ID studies via Discovery
software;-Raising stakeholder awareness through conservation actions.-Promoting
citizen-science activities
TRAININGThe Montenegro Dolphin Research team provides intensive lectures and
field work training as well as constant mentoring every week.You will be given
the chance to learn the most popular methodologies used in marine mammals
research such as:-ArcGIS mapping-Theodolite operation and Pythagoras
software;-Photo-identification;-Discovery and Logger 2010 software;-Systematic
data collection and data analysis;-Visual and acoustic behaviour of marine
mammals-Scientific manuscript and technical report writing skills
PROJECT PARTICIPATION FEEThe positions require a contribution fee of 700 Euros/
month which fully goes to support the project and the participation fee
includes:-Accommodation and expenses-Transportation between the project sites
within and between Montenegro and Albania-Training and lectures-Scientific
support-Field work-Use of the equipmentApplicants are responsible for their
transportation to/from Montenegro, meals, insurance (all participants should
have health and/or travel insurance) and personal expenses.
HOW TO APPLYEmail your CV and cover letter to akkayaayl...@gmail.com (Aylin
Akkaya) and i...@dmad.org.tr, explaining why you are the perfect asset for our
team and which goals you hope to achieve with us! Please mention the PERIOD OF
INTEREST AND DURATION OF AVAILABILITY!If you wish to have more info about our
work and get to know us better follow our websites:DMAD - Marine Mammals
Research
Associationhttps://www.instagram.com/marinemammalsresearch/https://www.facebook.com/DMADforNature/All
 the best,Dr. Aylin AkkayaScientific Director of Marine Mammals Research
Association (DMAD)