Dear MARMAMers,

We are delighted to announce the publication of the following Case Report in
Animals:

Capture Myopathy and Stress Cardiomyopathy in a Live-Stranded Risso’s Dolphin
(Grampus griseus) in Rehabilitation

Nakita Câmara1, Eva Sierra1, Antonio Fernández1, Manuel Arbelo1, Yara Bernaldo
de Quirós1, Marina Arregui1, Francesco Consoli1,2 and Pedro Herráez1

  1.
Veterinary Histology and Pathology, Institute of Animal Health and Food Safety
(IUSA), Veterinary School, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Arucas,
35416 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
  2.
Department of Neuroscience, Imaging and Clinical Sciences, University G.
D’Annunzio, 66100 Chieti, Italy

DOI: 10.3390/ani10020220<https://doi.org/10.3390/ani10020220>

Abstract

Capture myopathy (CM) is described in wild animals as a metabolic syndrome
resulting from the extreme stress suffered during and after capture, handling,
restraint, and transport. Although CM has been characterized in many species of
cetaceans, descriptions of cardiac injury—an important component of this
syndrome, and, according to previous authors, comparable to the existing human
pathology so-called stress cardiomyopathy (SCMP)—are still rare. Therefore, the
main aim of this report is to illustrate, for the first time, the biochemical
analysis, and gross, histopathological, histochemical and immunohistochemical
features of CM, and more specifically of the SCMP involved in this syndrome,
caused by the live-stranding and consequent rehabilitation attempt, for a
certain period of time, in a juvenile male Risso’s dolphin (Grampus griseus).
The animal presented elevated values of creatine kinase, cardiac troponin I and
blood urea nitrogen, with some variations during the rehabilitation period.
Histologically, we detected vascular changes and acute degenerative lesions
analogous to the ones observed in humans with SCMP. We consider this study to
be an important contribution to the study of cetaceans since it could help in
decision-making and treatment procedures during live-strandings and improve
conservation efforts by reducing the mortality of these animals.

The paper is available online at https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/10/2/220.

If you have any questions you can contact me at  kita_cam...@hotmail.com or
nakita.camara...@alu.ulpgc.es

Best regards,

Nakita Câmara
DVM, PhD Student

Centro Atlántico de Investigación de Cetáceos,
Instituto Universitario de Sanidad Animal y Seguridad Alimentaria (IUSA),
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC).

Campus Universitario Cardones de Arucas, Trasmontaña s/n
35416 Arucas, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, España

Telephone: +34 928 45 97 16
Mobile: +34 611 05 00 08

Email: nakita.camara...@alu.ulpgc.es