Dear colleagues,
My co-authors and I are pleased to share with you the following open-access
publication, demonstrating evidence of changes in dolphin behavior indicative
of respiratory irritation during harmful algal blooms known to produce
aerosolized toxins:

Fire, S. E., Miller, G. A., & Wells, R. S. (2020). Explosive exhalations by
common bottlenose dolphins during Karenia brevis red tides. Heliyon, 6(3),
e03525.

ABSTRACT
Harmful algal blooms (HABs) such as those produced by Karenia brevis have acute
negative impacts on common bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Florida
coastal waters, frequently causing illness and death. However, much less is
known about chronic, sub-acute effects on these important sentinel species.
This study investigates whether bottlenose dolphin behavior in Sarasota Bay,
Florida is influenced by the presence of severe red tide events, focusing on
respiratory and other behaviors likely affected by abundant toxin aerosols
produced during these blooms. Through focal animal behavioral follows, we
observed free-ranging dolphin respiratory behavior, activity budgets, and
movement patterns relative to K. brevis abundance in the study area. We
compared behavior from dolphins observed during a 2005 K. brevis bloom to those
observed during inter-bloom conditions where K. brevis was present at
background concentrations. We found that the rate of "chuffing", an explosive
type of exhalation, was significantly greater in dolphins observed during the
bloom. No apparent effect on respiratory rate, heading change rate or activity
budgets was observed. We propose that this chuffing behavior is analogous to
symptoms of respiratory irritation observed in humans exposed to such red tide
events, and suggest that this may be a type of disturbance response. With an
observed increase in both the frequency and severity of HABs, such disturbance
bottlenose dolphins in regions where such HABs are common.

The article can be found at:  https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e03525
or please contact me directly.

Warm regards (from an appropriate distance),

Spencer Fire, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Biological Sciences
Florida Institute of Technology
150 W. University Blvd.