Dear MARMAM community,

We are delighted to announce the publication of our paper in Marine Mammal
Science
Pardalou A, Tsikliras AC (2020) Factors influencing dolphin depredation in
coastal fisheries of the northern Aegean Sea: Implications on defining
mitigation measures. Mar Mam Sci: 1-24.  doi:10.1111/mms.12702

Abstract
Dolphin interactions with coastal fisheries are of major concern,
reportedly leading to gear damage, which increases the cost of coastal
fishing globally and in the Mediterranean Sea. The aim of this study was to
determine the effect that gear, target species, mesh size, depth, soaking
duration, fishing area, and season have on net depredation frequency and to
offer insights on possible mitigation solutions. From November 2013 to
February 2016 we monitored 107 active coastal fishers in 22 ports of the
northern Aegean Sea coastline, identified the main target species of the
fishery and recorded the damages on gill nets and trammel nets caused by
dolphins, mainly the common bottlenose dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus*).
Quasi-binomial generalized linear models were used to determine the
relationship between the examined factors and depredation frequency. The
analysis revealed that the gears mostly depredated were gill nets and
trammel nets with small mesh sizes, mainly targeting surmullet  (*Mullus
surmuletus*), red mullet (*Mullus barbatus*), common sole (*Solea solea*),
European hake (*Merluccius merluccius*), and the caramote prawn (*Melicertus
kerathurus*). The probability of depredation was also significantly
dependent on the fishing area.

The full paper may become available upon request at
apardalou[@]bio[.]auth[.]gr

Androniki Pardalou
PhD Student in Fisheries Biology
Laboratory of Ichthyology
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Orchid https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0566-0337
Androniki Pardalou
PhD Student in Fisheries Biology
Laboratory of Ichthyology, School of Biology
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
UP Box 134, University Campus
541 24, Thessaloniki, Greece
Tel.         : +30 2310 998268