Dear MARMAM readers,

my co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the following
article in Frontiers in Marine Science: Marine Megafauna, Research Topic "Small
Cetacean Conservation: Current Challenges and Opportunities":

Nachtsheim DA, Viquerat S, Ramírez-Martínez NC, Unger B, Siebert U, Gilles A
(2021) Small cetacean in a human high-use area: Trends in harbor porpoise
abundance in the North Sea over two decades. Frontiers in Marine Science:
Marine Megafauna 7:606609. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.606609.

Abstract
The North Sea is one of the most heavily used shelf regions worldwide with a
diversity of human impacts, including shipping, pollution, fisheries and
offshore constructions. These stressors on the environment can have
consequences for marine organisms, such as our study species, the harbor
porpoise (Phocoena phocoena), which is regarded as a sentinel species and hence
has a high conservation priority in the European Union (EU). As EU member
states are obliged to monitor the population status, the present study aims to
estimate trends in absolute harbor porpoise abundance in the German North Sea
based on almost two decades of aerial surveys (2002-2019) using line-transect
methodology. Furthermore, we were interested in trends in three Natura2000
Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), which include the harbor porpoise as
designated feature. Trends were estimated for each SAC and two seasons (spring
and summer) as well as the complete area of the German North Sea. For the trend
analysis we applied a Bayesian framework to a series of replicated visual
surveys, allowing to propagate the error structure of the original abundance
estimates to the final trend estimate and designed to deal with spatio-temporal
heterogeneity and other sources of uncertainty. In general, harbor porpoise
abundance decreased in northern areas and increased in the south, such as in
the SAC Borkum Reef Ground. A particularly strong decline with a high
probability (94.9%) was detected in the core area and main reproduction site in
summer, the SAC Sylt Outer Reef (-3.79% per year). The overall trend for the
German North Sea revealed a decrease in harbor porpoise abundance over the
whole study period (-1.79% per year) with high probability (95.1%). The
assessment of these trends in abundance based on systematic monitoring should
now form the basis for adaptive management, especially in the SAC Sylt Outer
Reef, where the underlying causes and drivers for the large decline remain
unknown and deserve further investigation, also in a regional North Sea wide
context.

The open access article can be accessed under this link:
https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.606609 . Also, the article is featured in a
Frontiers blog post, which gives a nice summary of our work:
https://blog.frontiersin.org/2021/01/07/frontiers-marine-science-population-census-harbor-porpoises-phocoena-north-sea-germany-decline/

Do not hesitate do contact me
(dominik.nachtsh...@tiho-hannover.de<mailto:dominik.nachtsh...@tiho-hannover.de>)
 or Anita Gilles
(anita.gil...@tiho-hannover.de<mailto:anita.gil...@tiho-hannover.de>) in case
of further questions!

All the best and Happy New Year
Dominik

---
Dominik A. Nachtsheim, M.Sc.
University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Foundation
Institute for Terrestrial and Aquatic Wildlife Research (ITAW)
Werftstr. 6
25761 Büsum
Germany

dominik.nachtsh...@tiho-hannover.de<mailto:dominik.nachtsh...@tiho-hannover.de>