Dear MARMAM Subscribers,

We are very pleased to share the recent publication of our research in Marine
Mammal Science! In short, to further understand what determines if a pup will
“sink” or “swim”, we examined the age, physical condition, growth, injuries,
and blood results of newborn harbour seal pups admitted for rehabilitation.
From these factors, we built a decision tree able to identify pups at greater
risk of mortality. We hope that this, in turn, may help rehabilitators direct
care toward pups with the poorest prognosis.

Full Abstract:

"To date, few consistent relationships between survival in rehabilitation
programs and diagnostic measures recorded upon admission have been identified
for harbor seal pups. Veterinary records for 718 unweaned Pacific harbor seal
pups (Phoca vitulina richardii) admitted to a rehabilitation center were
examined to identify clinical factors associated with preweaning survival and
develop a triage tool to stratify pups according to their risk of mortality.
Physical, serum chemical, and hematological variables were examined and their
relationship with survival to weaning was assessed by logistic regression and
classification and regression tree (CART) analysis. Survival to weaning was
85.1% and many clinical variables reflecting the pups’ age, size, growth,
injuries, and blood parameters were associated with the likelihood of survival.
A decision tree model, consisting of serum concentrations of phosphorus,
sodium, and calcium, successfully stratified harbor seal pups into clinical
subgroups according to their preweaning mortality risk. For both the derivation
and validation cohorts, pups classified as “high risk” had significantly lower
odds of survival, while those classified as “low risk” had significantly
greater odds of survival. This simple decision tree could serve as a practical
triage tool to help identify and direct care towards pups at higher risk of
preweaning mortality."

The article has not yet been assigned to an issue of the journal, but is
available online (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12777).
Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions!

[https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/cms/asset/ab30ef19-47c9-450d-8f3e-5ae680e9b03b/mms.v37.1.cover.gif]<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12777>

Sink or swim: Risk stratification of preweaning mortality in harbor seal pups
(Phoca vitulina richardii) admitted for rehabilitation - Cole - - Marine Mammal
Science - Wiley Online
Library<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12777>
onlinelibrary.wiley.com
To date, few consistent relationships between survival in rehabilitation
programs and diagnostic measures recorded upon admission have been identified
for harbor seal pups. Veterinary records for 718...

Best regards,

Justine

Justine Cole
B.Sc. Applied Animal Biology (Honours)
The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus
Phone (0) 793 803 8538
justine.c...@alumni.ubc.ca<mailto:justine.c...@alumni.ubc.ca>
http://www.linkedin.com/in/justine-cole

[UBC E-mail Signature]