Dear MARMAM community and marine mammal noise experts,

we have developed a web based, interactive database to make audiogram data,
especially of marine mammals and seabirds, more accessible to the public, but
especially to serve as a tool and data repository for further research.
Currently audiogram data and relevant background information are  reported in
heterogeneous formats and are only embedded in individual scientific
publications. Furthermore, differences between in-air and underwater hearing
capabilities and measurement units have led to confusion especially about
conservation issues. This makes it hard to access, compare and integrate
audiograms into other research, impact assessments and decision making
processes.

Based on a systematic survey of the scientific literature and manual data
curation, the Animal Audiogram Database
(https://animalaudiograms.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin<https://animalaudiograms.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/>)
 assembles audiogram data, metadata about the corresponding experiments, and
links to original publications in a consistent format established by community
involvement. Focusing currently on vertebrates and underwater environments, the
database is drafted as a free resource whose structure and content can be
extended collaboratively for audiogram data from any taxonomic group and
habitat. We are aiming at establishing this database also as a data repository
to serve as a quality check and allow for easy access to this very necessary
information. The database now contains 269 underwater audiograms (mostly marine
mammals) and 110 in-air audiograms from the published literature. It contains
behavioral audiograms and auditory evoked potential research.

We hope you will like our idea! If you would like to support the project of
developing the database further collaboratively with regard to both structure
and content, based on community input, let us know your comments and
suggestions. We would also greatly appreciate being notified of publications
and audiogram data which haven’t yet been included in the audiogram database.
There is also the need for a quality check of our work from independent
researchers to ensure that this effort serves as a useful scientific tool.

We are inviting experts and potential users to a half-day virtual workshop on
25 Jan 2021, 1 – 4:30 PM (Central European Standard Time), in which we will
introduce and develop the audiogram database by means of a joint discussion and
an online survey, which can be carried out in advance. The workshop will also
be an opportunity for us to gather a first feedback from you on the audiogram
database.

Please contact us at audiograms@mfn.berlin<mailto:audiograms@mfn.berlin> and
let us know until 23 Jan 2021 whether you would be interested in attending the
workshop. You will then receive a zoom link to attend and a survey link. If you
are interested and if, due to short announcement schedule cannot make it,
please also indicate that. We will then give considerations to a repetition of
the workshop.

Best regards,

Michael Dähne,

on behalf of the project „Hearing in
Penguins<https://www.deutsches-meeresmuseum.de/en/science-research/projects/current-projects/hearing-in-penguins/>”
 and the especially the audiogram database developers at the Museum für
Naturkunde Berlin<https://www.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/de>, Denise Jäckel,
Alvaro Ortiz
Troncoso<https://www.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/de/ueber-uns/team/alvaro.ortiz>
 and Christian
Bölling<https://www.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/de/ueber-uns/team/christian.boelling>

The Animal Audiogram Database was developed as part of the project "Hearing in
Penguins" funded by the German Environment
Agency<https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en> (UBA) with means of the Federal
Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear
Safety<https://www.bmu.de/en/> (BMU, FKZ3777182440).

+++apologies for cross posting, this mail unfortunately was delayed+++
__
Dr. Michael Dähne
Kurator für Meeressäugetiere / Curator of Marine Mammals

Deutsches Meeresmuseum
Museum für Meereskunde und Fischerei ∙ Aquarium
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts

Tel.: +49 (0) 3831 2650-310
Fax: + 49 (0) 3831 2650-309

michael.dae...@meeresmuseum.de<mailto:michael.dae...@meeresmuseum.de>