Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our new publication titled “The
first record of a Longman’s beaked whale (*Indopacetus pacificus*) newborn
neonate found on Miyako Island, Okinawa, Japan” which is now available in
the open-access journal of Marine Biodiversity Records.

by Nozomi Kobayashi, Sachie Ozawa, Nozomi Hanahara, Koji Tokutake, Takaaki
Kaneshi, Ken Inoue, Haruna Okabe, Kei Miyamoto and Keiichi Ueda

Abstract

The Longman’s beaked whale (*Indopacetus pacificus*) is one of the rarest
cetaceans worldwide. Since it was first described as its own species in
1926, they have been observed alive at sea on several occasions, and less
than 20 strandings have been reported worldwide to date. Thus, basic
information regarding this species, such as the maximum size of adult
individuals or body length at birth, remains unknown. In this study, the
external appearance and DNA analysis of a female Longman’s beaked whale
stranded on Miyako Island, Okinawa, Japan, are reported. The external
appearance of the specimen matched the features of the Longman’s beaked
whale presented in previous studies. The mitochondrial DNA control-region
sequences obtained from the specimen also matched the reference sequences
of the species deposited in GenBank. Based on these features, the specimen
was confirmed as a Longman’s beaked whale. The specimen was estimated to be
neonate because of its body length (235 cm) and the clear several fetal
folds observed on its body surface. To the best of our knowledge, this is
the first report of a confirmed new born neonate of Longman’s beaked whale
in the world.

The article is open-access, and full text PDF is available here:

https://mbr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s41200-021-00201-z

Please feel free to contact us if you have questions!

Best,

Nozomi Kobayashi

Nozomi Kobayashi, Ph. D.

Zoological Lab.