Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce  our recent open access paper
published in Endangered Species Research:

Goldsworthy S.D., Shaughnessy P.D., Mackay A.I., Bailleul F., Holman D.,
Lowther A.D., Page B., Waples K., Raudino H., Bryars S., Anderson T. (2021)
Assessment of the status and trends in abundance of a coastal pinniped, the
Australian sea lion, Neophoca cinerea. Endangered Species Research. 44: 421-437
DOI: https://doi.org/10.3354/esr01118

https://www.int-res.com/articles/esr2021/44/n044p421.pdf

ABSTRACT: Australian sea lions Neophoca cinerea are endemic to Australia, with
their contemporary distribution restricted to South Australia (SA) and Western
Australia (WA). Monitoring of the species has proved challenging due to
prolonged breeding events that occur non-annually and asynchronously across
their range. The most recent available data from 80 extant breeding sites (48
in SA, 32 in WA) enabled us to estimate the species-wide pup abundance to be
2739, with 82% (2246) in SA and 18% (493) in WA, mostly based on surveys
conducted between 2014 and 2019. We evaluated 1776 individual site-surveys
undertaken between 1970 and 2019 and identified admissible time-series data
from 30 breeding sites, which revealed that pup abundance declined on average
by 2.0% yr-1 (range 9.9% decline to 1.7% growth yr-1). The overall reduction in
pup abundance over 3 generations (42.3 yr) was estimated to be 64%, with over
98% of Monte Carlo simulations producing a decline >50% over a 3-generation
period, providing strong evidence that the species meets IUCN 'Endangered'
criteria (decline ≥50% and ≤80%). The population is much smaller than
previously estimated and is declining. There is a strong cline in regional
abundances (increasing from west to east), with marked within-region
heterogeneity in breeding site pup abundances and trends. Results from this
study should improve consistency in the assessment of the species and create
greater certainty among stakeholders about its conservation status. To
facilitate species management and recovery, we prioritise key data gaps and
identify factors to improve population monitoring.

Kind regards,

Simon

Simon Goldsworthy | Principal Scientist
Ecosystem Effects of Fishing & Aquaculture
South Australian Research and Development Institute - SARDI (Aquatic Sciences)
Department of Primary Industries and Regions
Government of South Australia | 2 Hamra Ave, West Beach, SA 5024 |
Affiliate Professor | The University of Adelaide
PO Box 120, Henley Beach SA 5022
P: +61 8 8429 0268 | M: +61 428 102 831 | E: simon.goldswor...@sa.gov.au
pir.sa.gov.au