Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our new paper:

Boys, R.M.; Beausoleil, N.J.; Betty, E.L.; Stockin, K.A. Deathly Silent:
Exploring the Global Lack of Data Relating to Stranded Cetacean Euthanasia.
Animals 2021, 11, 1460. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani11051460

The paper is open access and is available for download here:
https://www.mdpi.com/1116248

Abstract:
The compromised state of stranded cetaceans means that euthanasia is often
required. However, current knowledge and implementation of euthanasia methods
remain highly variable, with limited data on the practicalities and welfare
impacts of procedures. This study evaluated the available published data on
cetacean euthanasia, highlighting knowledge gaps and providing direction to
improve stranded cetacean welfare. A total of 2147 peer-reviewed articles
describing marine mammal euthanasia were examined. Of these 3.1% provided
details on the method used, with 91% employing chemical methods. Two countries,
the United Kingdom (UK) and New Zealand (NZ), provided euthanasia reports to
the International Whaling Commission (IWC) between 2007 and 2020. Methods
employed were reported for 78.3% and 100% of individual cetaceans euthanised in
the UK and NZ, respectively. In the UK, chemical euthanasia was most common
(52%), whilst in NZ only ballistics methods were used. Few data were available
about time to death/insensibility (TTD); 0.5% of peer-reviewed articles
provided TTD, whilst TTD was reported for 35% of individuals in the UK and for
98% in NZ. However, IWC reports lacked detail on how death/insensibility were
assessed, with multiple individuals “presumed instantly” killed. Overall, the
findings highlight the lack of available information on cetacean euthanasia,
and suggest increased data collection and the application of appropriate
methods to improve welfare.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions
(r.b...@massey.ac.nz)

Thank you,

Rebecca Boys

Rebecca M Boys

Marine Biologist

PhD Student

Cetacean Ecology Research Group

School of Natural and Computational Sciences

Massey University

Auckland

New Zealand

[cid:d28e07e9-72b3-4b23-b082-1f34668f3d8b]<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rebecca_Boys>
 [cid:59deb976-c2e3-4ae0-a2ee-d53e44dc9963]
<https://scholar.google.co.nz/citations?hl=en&user=7rHpOpMAAAAJ>
[cid:6f65bb32-4b39-4c4a-9a9b-da71f90170d5] <https://twitter.com/RebeccaMBoys>
[cid:ea37ddd6-b63b-4538-aa42-60075a137b51]
<https://www.facebook.com/CetaceanEcologyOrg/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBKlWSLR-YC7KHNrW51KXYC8RqNWn5mtIpZGlhILsMi73gubXw7i0iNq-bMfLim8n7PnUX74GpGPXJqVJBIxqdfqVAvHxEd2En0qyW6mKYd9Q30p8kEFIBWKPFgrh4uEh6ISXy5ihiNbt8H1yEWprZQN4kZDRW8gPSk6TMiyNoF-uJ0o1uPoosrGMKBKGD8sc4K3SJPD2e-mWqDxZOc_aY670ngZVZm6YlpZzvKj_r_vh_aHHeSQuS7lgktu6h7HwKL_pEGombnfjc6z3ekwEF4Szn9mLA-y643tiUxNSQiFyiDyOzrVFqnT34Ctus2d0A9GXJMVBvnw7lCKoNnEq4kbA>
 [cid:f1d84c2a-e2d7-40eb-8f9f-03cd3e88cb64]
<https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/explore/research/animal-veterinary/animal/marine/marine_home.cfm>
[cid:72a27a4f-950a-4428-bc8b-e90f8907d0bd]
www.cetaceanecology.org/<https://www.cetaceanecology.org/>

Australia and New Zealand Student Chapter SMM Committee member

European Cetacean Society National Contact Person for New Zealand