Dear colleagues,
We are pleased to announce the publication of the paper:

Haro, D., P. Sabat, J. Acevedo, J. Capella, B. Cáceres, A. Aguayo-Lobo, F.
Martínez. 2021. Ontogenetic and seasonal analysis of the diet and isotopic
niche of humpback whales in the Magellan Strait, Chile.  Marine Ecology
Progress Series. 669: 213–226. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps13733

https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v669/p213-226/

ABSTRACT: The ecological niche is dynamic, since the position and width of
the niche can vary at different spatial and temporal scales. We examined
the trophic ecology of southeast Pacific humpback whales Megaptera
novaeangliae in the Magellan Strait feeding area in 2011, 2012 and 2017,
analyzing changes in diet and the width of the isotopic niche in relation
to ontogeny and seasonality. The isotopic composition of carbon (δ13C) and
nitrogen (δ15N) in whale skin and in
putative prey species was analyzed. Bayesian mixing models were used to
determine the diet, and the isotopic niche was estimated using the standard
ellipse area. Differences were found between the diets of juveniles and
adults; Fuegian sprat Sprattus fuegensis was consumed mostly by
adult individuals. We found no differences in the diet or in the isotopic
niche of humpback whales
throughout the feeding season in all years. This study suggests that the
differences in diet between age classes are influenced by the ability to
find and capture prey, whereas seasonality does not influence the niche
width of humpback whales in the Magellan Strait. Our results suggested that
fluctuations in the abundance of prey populations could influence in the
trophic niche
dynamics of humpback whales in the Magellan Strait. In particular, a
reduction in the availability of Fuegian sprat would mainly affect adult
individuals, leading to a dietary switch and/or to an expansion of their
feeding area.

Please contact me at <dha...@santotomas.cl <daniela.haro.d...@gmail.com>>
for a PDF copy or
questions.