On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to share two new papers that have
recently been published on the behavioral ecology and anatomy of Antarctic
minke whales and humpback whales.

Sympatry and resource partitioning between the largest krill consumers around
the Antarctic Peninsula

ABSTRACT: Understanding how closely related, sympatric species distribute
themselves relative to their environment is critical to understanding ecosystem
structure and function and predicting effects of environmental variation. The
Antarctic Peninsula supports high densities of krill and krill consumers;
however, the region is warming rapidly, with unknown consequences. Humpback
whales Megaptera novaeangliae and Antarctic minke whales Balaenoptera
bonaerensis are the largest krill consumers here, yet key data gaps remain
about their distribution, behavior, and interactions and how these will be
impacted by changing conditions. Using satellite telemetry and novel spatial
point-process modeling techniques, we quantified habitat use of each species
relative to dynamic environmental variables and determined overlap in core
habitat areas during summer months when sea ice is at a minimum. We found that
humpback whales ranged broadly over continental shelf waters, utilizing
nearshore bays, while minke whales restricted their movements to sheltered bays
and areas where ice is present. This presents a scenario where minke whale core
habitat overlaps substantially with the broader home ranges of humpback whales.
While there is no indication that prey is limiting in this ecosystem, increased
overlap between these species may arise as climate-driven changes that affect
the extent, timing, and duration of seasonal sea ice decrease the amount of
preferred foraging habitat for minke whales while concurrently increasing it
for humpback whales. Our results provide the first quantitative assessment of
behaviorally based habitat use and sympatry between these 2 krill consumers and
offers insight into the potential effects of a rapidly changing environment on
the structure and function of a polar ecosystem.
Ari S. Friedlaender, Trevor Joyce, David W. Johnston, Andrew J. Read, Douglas
P. Nowacek, Jeremy A. Goldbogen, Nick Gales, John W. Durban

This paper is provided with open access through Marine Ecology Progress Series
and can be accessed at: https://doi.org/10.3354/meps13771

In-situ observations of the sensory hairs of Antarctic minke whales
(Balaenoptera bonaerensis)

Abstract

The sense of touch in the largest marine mammals is poorly understood. While
mysticetes possess specialized sensory hairs that are present through
adulthood, descriptions of these structures are based almost entirely on
examination of tissues in post-mortem individuals. Sensory hairs have rarely
been observed and described in living whales. We photographed Antarctic minke
whales Balaenoptera bonaerensis in the Western Antarctic Peninsula and used
high-resolution images to describe the number, distribution, orientation, and
relative size of sensory hairs in freely swimming individuals. Sensory hairs
were well developed. They were distributed on the tip of the lower jaw, the
margins of the upper and lower jaw, and near the blowhole. Far fewer hairs were
observed than reported for other mysticete species, including the related
species Balaenoptera acutorostrata. Placement and apparent stiffness of sensory
hairs within living tissue combined with observations and images of moving
whales suggest these structures aid in detecting air and ice interfaces, and
possibly, the boundaries of submerged prey fields.

Colleen Reichmuth
<https://anatomypubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?ContribAuthorStored=Reichmuth%2C+Colleen>,
 Caroline Casey
<https://anatomypubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?ContribAuthorStored=Casey%2C+Caroline>,
 Ari Friedlaender
<https://anatomypubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?ContribAuthorStored=Friedlaender%2C+Ari>

The paper can be accessed through Anatomical Record at:
https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.24720 <https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.24720>

Thank you.
Ari Friedlaender

Ari S. Friedlaender, PhD (he/him/his)
Associate Researcher, Institute of Marine Sciences
Associate Adjunct Professor, Ocean Sciences & Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
UC Santa Cruz
115 McAllister Way
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
ari.friedlaen...@ucsc.edu