Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our new
paper that is in early view in Ecological Applications.

McHuron E, Aerts L, Gailey G, Sychenko O, Costa DP, Mangel M, Schwarz
LK. Predicting
the population consequences of acoustic disturbance, with application to an
endangered gray whale population. e02440

https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/eap.2440

*Abstract*
Acoustic disturbance is a growing conservation concern for wildlife
populations because it can elicit physiological and behavioral responses
that can have cascading impacts on population dynamics. State-dependent
behavioral and life history models implemented via Stochastic Dynamic
Programming (SDP) provide a natural framework for quantifying biologically
meaningful population changes resulting from disturbance by linking
environment, physiology, and metrics of fitness. We developed an SDP model
using the endangered western gray whale (*Eschrichtius robustus*) as a case
study because they experience acoustic disturbance on their summer foraging
grounds. We modeled the behavior and physiological dynamics of pregnant
females as they arrived on the feeding grounds and predicted the
probability of female and offspring survival, with and without acoustic
disturbance and in the presence/absence of high prey availability. Upon
arrival in mid-May, pregnant females initially exhibited relatively random
behavior before they transitioned to intensive feeding that resulted in
continual fat mass gain until departure. This shift in behavior co-occurred
with a change in spatial distribution; early in the season, whales were
more equally distributed among foraging areas with moderate to high energy
availability, whereas by mid-July whales transitioned to predominate use of
the location that had the highest energy availability. Exclusion from
energy-rich offshore areas led to reproductive failure and in extreme
cases, mortality of adult females that had lasting impacts on population
dynamics. Simulated disturbances in nearshore foraging areas had little to
no impact on female survival or reproductive success at the population
level. At the individual level, the impact of disturbance was unequally
distributed across females of different lengths, both with respect to the
number of times an individual was disturbed and the impact of disturbance
on vital rates. Our results highlight the susceptibility of large capital
breeders to reductions in prey availability, and indicate that who, where,
and when individuals are disturbed are likely to be important
considerations when assessing the impacts of acoustic activities. This
model provides a framework to inform planned acoustic disturbances and
assess the effectiveness of mitigation strategies for large capital
breeders.

Please feel free to reach out with questions or if you would like a
pre-print of the article.

Best,

Liz McHuron

Elizabeth McHuron, PhD