Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce a new open access publication:
Runs of homozygosity in killer whale genomes provide a global record of
demographic histories

The article is open access and therefore freely available to download using
this link:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/mec.16137

It will feature in the upcoming special issue of Molecular Ecology on using
whole genome sequencing.

Abstract:
Runs of homozygosity (ROH) occur when offspring inherit haplotypes that are
identical by descent from each parent. Length distributions of ROH are
informative about population history; specifically, the probability of
inbreeding mediated by mating system and/or population demography. Here, we
investigated whether variation in killer whale (Orcinus orca) demographic
history is reflected in genome-wide heterozygosity and ROH length
distributions, using a global data set of 26 genomes representative of
geographic and ecotypic variation in this species, and two F1 admixed
individuals with Pacific-Atlantic parentage. We first reconstructed demographic
history for each population as changes in effective population size through
time using the pairwise sequential Markovian coalescent (PSMC) method. We found
a subset of populations declined in effective population size during the Late
Pleistocene, while others had more stable demography. Genomes inferred to have
undergone ancestral declines in effective population size, were autozygous at
hundreds of short ROH (<1 Mb), reflecting high background relatedness due to
coalescence of haplotypes deep within the pedigree. In contrast, longer and
therefore younger ROH (>1.5 Mb) were found in low latitude populations, and
populations of known conservation concern. These include a Scottish killer
whale, for which 37.8% of the autosomes were comprised of ROH >1.5 Mb in
length. The fate of this population, in which only two adult males have been
sighted in the past five years, and zero fecundity over the last two decades,
may be inextricably linked to its demographic history and consequential
inbreeding depression.

We hope this study will be of interest to the Marmam community.

Andy Foote and coauthors