Dear Marmam colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our recent publication entitled
"Friend or foe: Risso's dolphins eavesdrop on conspecific sounds to induce or
avoid intra-specific interaction", recently published in Animal Cognition.

I’ll be pleased to send you a pdf copy of the paper on request. Find below the
abstract.

Kind regards,

Charlotte Curé

PhD, Researcher in Bioacoustics at UMRAE (Cerema-Univ. Gustave Eiffel, FRANCE)

charlotte.c...@cerema.fr

Abstract

The detection and use of emitters' signals by unintended receivers, i.e.,
eavesdropping, represents an important and often low-cost way for animals to
gather information from their environment. Acoustic eavesdropping can be a key
driver in mediating intra- and interspecific interactions (e.g., cooperation,
predator-prey systems), specifically in species such as cetaceans that use
sound as a primary sensory modality. While most cetacean species produce
context-specific sounds, little is known about the use of those sounds by
potential conspecific eavesdroppers. We experimentally tested the hypothesis
that a social cetacean, Risso's dolphin (Grampus griseus), is able to gather
biologically relevant information by eavesdropping on conspecific sounds. We
conducted playback experiments on free-ranging dolphins using three
context-specific sounds stimuli and monitored their horizontal movement using
visual or airborne focal follow observations. We broadcasted natural sequences
of conspecific foraging sounds potentially providing an attractive dinner bell
signal (n = 7), male social sounds simulating a risk of forthcoming agonistic
interaction (n = 7) and female-calf social sounds representing no particularly
threatening context (n = 7). We developed a quantitative movement response
score and tested whether animals changed their direction of horizontal movement
towards or away from the playback source. Dolphins approached the foraging and
the social female-calf sounds whereas they avoided the social male sounds.
Hence, by acoustically eavesdropping on conspecifics, dolphins can discriminate
between social and behavioural contexts and anticipate potential threatening or
beneficial situations. Eavesdropping and the ensuing classification of 'friend
or foe' can thus shape intra-specific social interactions in cetaceans.

Horizontal movement response; Playback experiments.