Greetings MARMAM!

Join us on *23 September 2021 at 4 PM PDT (11 PM** UTC)* for the next SMM
Seminar Editor's Select Series: Echolocation behaviour of fish-eating
killer whales during pursuit and capture of salmon prey with Brianna Wright
of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO).
Free to attend. Registration required. Presented online on Zoom.
Register here:
https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_i1j2SHX2R2GvLexGa4HYPQ

Space on Zoom is limited to the first 100 attendees. The talk will also be
streamed live on the SMM Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/marinemammalogy>.

*The SMM Seminar Editor's Select Series highlights the latest and most
exciting marine mammal science published in the Marine Mammal Science
Journal. This is your chance to engage with marine mammal scientists, learn
and ask questions from anywhere in the world. All are welcome. *

*About this talk:*
We used high-resolution acoustic and movement tags (Dtags) to analyse the
echolocation behaviour of fish-eating killer whales during pursuit and
capture of salmon prey. Whales produced more echolocation trains and had
faster clicking rates prior to catching salmon versus afterward, confirming
the importance of echolocation in prey detection and tracking. Extremely
rapid click sequences (buzzes) occurred in the lead-up to salmon captures
at depths typically exceeding 50 m, and were likely used for close-range
prey targeting. Distinctive crunching sounds related to prey handling
occurred at shallow depths following captures, matching observations that
whales surfaced with salmon prior to eating them and often shared their
prey.

*About the presenter: *
I received my B.Sc. majoring in Biology and Anthropology from the
University of Victoria in 2007. During my undergrad I also participated in
the UVic Biology Co-op program and studied at the Bamfield Marine Sciences
Centre. From 2008-2010, I worked as a Technician with the Cetacean Research
Program of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) before returning to school and
completing my M.Sc. in 2014 at UBC’s Marine Mammal Research Unit under the
supervision of Dr. John Ford and Dr. Andrew Trites. My thesis investigated
the fine-scale foraging behaviour of resident killer whales using
suction-cup attached tags that recorded dive depth, body position and
acoustic behaviour of individual whales. I returned to work with DFO’s
Cetacean Research Program at the Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo in
July 2014, and I’m currently a marine mammal Biologist with this group. My
job takes me throughout beautiful coastal British Columbia, Canada where
I’ve been lucky enough to participate in killer whale and sea otter census
surveys and offshore ship and aerial distance-sampling surveys for
cetaceans. Analytically, my recent work has focused on spatial density
modelling of survey data for cetacean species to estimate their
distribution and abundance. I also conduct assessments of killer whale diet
composition and prey sharing behaviour through field collection and
analysis of prey remains.

Best regards,
Eric Angel Ramos, Ph.D. Candidate
*Ayça Eleman, Ph.D. *Candidate
*Theresa-Anne Tatom-Naecker, Ph.D. Student*
*Student Members-at-Large*
Society for Marine Mammalogy

Check us out on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/marinemammalogy/