Dear MARMAM Community:

On behalf of and with sincere thanks to my co-authors and contributors, I
would very much like to share some of our recent publications as below. If
you would like to get the pdf copies, please feel free to let me know.

01.   Yuan Yuan, Yaolei Zhang, Peijun Zhang, Chang Liu, Jiahao Wang, Haiyu
Gao, A. Rus Hoelzel, Inge Seim, Meiqi Lv, Mingli Lin, Lijun Dong, Haoyang
Gao, Zixin Yang, Francesco Caruso, Wenzhi Lin, Rute R. da Fonseca, Ding
Wang, Xianyan Wang, Marianne H. Rasmussen, Mingming Liu, Jinsong Zheng,
Liyuan Zhao, Paula F. Campos, Hui Kang, Maria Iversen, Yue Song, Xinyu Guo,
Jiao Guo, Yating Qin, Shanshan Pan, Qiwu Xu, Lingfeng Meng, Yunga A,
Shanshan Liu, Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, Xin Liu, Xun Xu, Huanming Yang, Guangyi
Fan, Kun Wang, Songhai Li. (2021) Comparative genomics provides insights
into the aquatic adaptations of mammals | PNAS
<https://www.pnas.org/content/118/37/e2106080118>

Abstract: The ancestors of marine mammals once roamed the land and
independently committed to an aquatic lifestyle. These macroevolutionary
transitions have intrigued scientists for centuries. Here, we generated
high-quality genome assemblies of 17 marine mammals (11 cetaceans and six
pinnipeds), including eight assemblies at the chromosome level.
Incorporating previously published data, we reconstructed the marine mammal
phylogeny and population histories and identified numerous idiosyncratic and
convergent genomic variations that possibly contributed to the transition
from land to water in marine mammal lineages. Genes associated with the
formation of blubber (NFIA), vascular development (SEMA3E), and heat
production by brown adipose tissue (UCP1) had unique changes that may
contribute to marine mammal thermoregulation. We also observed many
lineage-specific changes in the marine mammals, including genes associated
with deep diving and navigation. Our study advances understanding of the
timing, pattern, and molecular changes associated with the evolution of
mammalian lineages adapting to aquatic life.

02.   Lijun Dong, Francesco Caruso, Jianchen Dong, Mingming Liu, Mingli Lin,
and Songhai Li. (2021) Whistle characteristics of a newly recorded Indo
<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12816> �\Pacific humpback
dolphin (Sousa chinensis) population in waters southwest of Hainan Island,
China, differ from other humpback dolphin populations - Dong - - Marine
Mammal Science - Wiley Online Library

Abstract: Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins (Sousa chinensis) use whistles to
communicate with their conspecifics. Little is known about the acoustic
repertoire of Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins in waters southwest of Hainan
Island, China, a newly recorded population in 2014. In this study, whistles
of Hainan humpback dolphin population were collected by using autonomous
acoustic recorders. The fundamental frequencies and durations of whistles
were in ranges of 0.71�C21.35 kHz and 0.06�C2.22 s, respectively.
Significant intraspecific differences in whistles duration and frequency
parameters were found between the Hainan population and the other
geographically neighboring populations (in Chinese waters) or the population
in Malaysia waters. Compared with other Sousa species, significant
interspecific differences were also observed. On the basis of clustering
analysis, the geographically neighboring populations were more similar to
each other in whistle parameters. Significant differences were also found
between the humpback dolphins in waters southwest of Hainan Island and those
dolphins in the geographically neighboring areas, supporting the hypothesis
that this population may be independent. Ambient noise measurements in
waters of Hainan Island, Zhanjiang and Sanniang Bay showed that humpback
dolphin populations may use whistles with longer duration, lower frequency
and fewer inflection points for more effective communication to adapt to a
noisier environment.

03.   Mingming Liu, Mingli Lin, Lijun Dong, Peijun Zhang, and Songhai Li.
(2021) Spatiotemporal variations in fine-scale habitat use of the world
<https://academic.oup.com/jmammal/article/102/2/384/6149491?login=true> ’s
second largest population of humpback dolphins | Journal of Mammalogy |
Oxford Academic (oup.com)

Abstract: We assessed habitat use by the population of Indo-Pacific humpback
dolphin, Sousa chinensis, in the waters off Zhanjiang, China, by performing
boat-based surveys between 2013 and 2018. In total, we gathered 253
sightings of humpback dolphins. To assess habitat use of humpback dolphins
within the study area, we measured two spatial metrics at each sighting
site: WDT (tide-calibrated water-depth) and DS (distance to the nearest
shore). Results showed that dolphins mainly were observed in shallow (WDT:
8.46 ± 5.13 m, mean ± SD) and inshore (DS: 2.17 ± 2.14 km) waters. Their
preference of inhabiting shallow waters was more apparent during the wet
season (April�CSeptember) than during the dry season (October�CMarch);
however, they were encountered in waters much closer to shore during the dry
season than the wet season. By weighting survey effort, our sighting density
maps further confirmed that humpback dolphins changed their habitat use
between wet and dry seasons. Such spatiotemporal variations in dolphin
habitat use might be associated with spatiotemporal movements of their prey.
Our findings provide insights into variations in fine-scale habitat use of
inshore apex predators, and also assist to designate proper conservation
measures for these vulnerable animals.

04.   Mingli Lin, Mingming Liu, Sovan Lek, Lijun Dong, Peijun Zhang,
Rodolphe E. Gozlan, Songhai Li. (2021) Modelling habitat suitability of the
Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin using artificial neural network: The influence
of shipping - ScienceDirect
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1574954121000650?via%3Di
hub>

Abstract: The distribution of cetaceans is generally studied on the basis of
their visual locations. However, the absence of observations does not
exclude the presence of dolphins and not allow to distinguish habitats
favourable to the species but where it would be currently absent due to
anthropic disturbances. The modelling of ecological niches represents a
powerful alternative choice and intensive computer modelling has been
increasingly used to reveal the complexity of the relationships between
cetaceans and their habitat. Here, we predicted the presence/absence of the
Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin (Sousa chinensis), an endangered species,
using the artificial neural network model of back-propagation (BP-ANN) with
eight environmental variables. The BP-ANN model had a higher success rate
for correct prediction (74%) compared to linear discriminant analysis (67%),
especially for the prediction of the presence of S. chinensis (63% to 31%),
indicating its potential application in cetacean habitat research. In the
model output map, three suitable habitats were predicted without S.
chinensis sightings identified. However, only one was confirmed by
subsequent field surveys, the other two being located in a strong shipping
area. Therefore, we suggest that the traditional assessment of the baseline
habitat based on visual sighting may miss the identification of some
suitable habitats due to anthropogenic disturbance. We have also highlighted
the importance of ecological modelling research for cetacean conservation.
In addition, among the eight environmental variables studied, distance from
shore, fish abundance and salinity proved to be the most important factors
for the distribution of S. chinensis, indicating that coastal construction,
sea recovery and overfishing would be key constraints for its conservation.

05.   Mingming Liu, Mingli Lin, David Lusseau, and Songhai Li. (2021)
Frontiers | Intra-Population Variability in Group Size of Indo-Pacific
Humpback Dolphins (Sousa chinensis) | Marine Science (frontiersin.org)
<https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2021.671568/full>

Abstract: Group size is a key social trait influencing population dynamics
of group-living animals. The Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins (IPHDs), Sousa
chinensis, a shallow water delphinid species, display a fission-fusion
social system. Yet little is known about how social organization of this
species vary with temporal scales and behavioral state. In this study, we
sampled group size estimates from the world’s second largest population of
humpback dolphins (Sousa spp.), which inhabit the eastern waters of
Zhanjiang, China. IPHD group sizes changed seasonally and inter-annually,
but not with tidal phases. Group sizes also changed with behavioral state of
IPHD groups and with number of mother-calf pairs present. IPHDs formed
larger groups in the autumn than in other seasons, which might be related to
seasonal changes in food availability and reproductive cycle. Of the groups
observed, we recorded the presence of mother-calf pair in 85 groups (i.e.,
nursery groups: 47 ones with one pair, 25 ones with two pairs, and others
with three pairs). Notably, nursery groups were about 2�C4 times larger than
non-nursery groups. In addition, group sizes greatly increased with the
number of mother-calf pairs. Living in relatively large groups, more
protection, food, and resources might be available for IPHD mothers and
calves, and such social strategy provide higher reproduction efficiency and
survival success for this species. During our observations, feeding (45.5%)
and traveling (25.2%) represented the majority of IPHD’s behavioral budget,
while socializing (8.4%) and resting/milling (6.8%) were not frequently
observed. Resting/milling groups were approximately 50% smaller than
feeding, traveling, or socializing groups, while the latter three types had
a similar mean group size. Large groups when IPHDs foraged, traveled, or
socialized, might provide more added group benefits. For the first time, our
findings clearly revealed intra-population variability in IPHD group sizes
across different behavioral and temporal variables, and provided a better
understanding of IPHDs’ adaptations to various biological processes and
ecological constraints.

06.   Mingming Liu, Wenzhi Lin, Mingli Lin, Binshuai Liu, Lijun Dong, Peijun
Zhang, Zixin Yang, Kexiong Wang, Liang Dai, and Songhai Li. (2021) JMSE |
Free Full-Text | The First Attempt of Satellite Tracking on Occurrence and
Migration of Bryde <https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1312/9/8/796> ’s Whale
(Balaenoptera edeni) in the Beibu Gulf (mdpi.com)

Abstract: Satellite-tagging is increasingly becoming a powerful biotelemetry
approach to obtain remote measurement through tracking free-living
cetaceans, which can fill knowledge gaps on cetaceans and facilitate
conservation management. Here, we made a first biologging attempt on baleen
whales in Chinese waters. An adult Bryde’s whale in the Beibu Gulf was
tagged to investigate potential occurrence areas and migration routes of
this poorly studied species. The whale was satellite-tracked for ~6 days
with 71 filtered Argos satellite locations, resulting in a linear movement
distance of 464 km. At each satellite-tracking location, the water depth was
measured as 42.1 ± 24.8 m on average. During the satellite-tracking period,
the whale’s moving speed was estimated at 5.33 ± 4.01 km/h. These findings
expanded the known distribution areas of Bryde’s whales in the Beibu Gulf
and provided an important scientific basis for the regional protection of
this species. We suggest that fine-scale movements, habitat use, and
migratory behavior of Bryde’s whales in the Beibu Gulf need more
biotelemetry research, using long-term satellite-tracking tags and involving
enough individuals. Furthermore, the genetic relationship and possible
connectivity of Bryde’s whales in the Beibu Gulf and adjacent waters should
be examined.

Best Regards

Songhai

Songhai Li Ph.D. & Prof.

Marine Mammal and Marine Bioacoustics Laboratory

Institute of Deep-sea Science and Engineering

Chinese Academy of Sciences

28 Luhuitou Road, Sanya, 572000, China

Phone: +86-898-88222393

Email:  <mailto:l...@sidsse.ac.cn> l...@idsse.ac.cn