Dear colleagues,

The English version of the PhD thesis of Dr. Eduard Degollada titled
"*Functional anatomy and histology of the nasal sac system in odontocetes
(superfamily Delphinoidea)*",
is now publicly available.

The original version in Spanish was translated to English to make its
content available to the broad scientific community.

Prologue to the English edition:
"Although this PhD thesis was defended in 1998, personal commitments and
limitations have led me to postpone publishing the different scientific
advances the dissertation carried at that time. Since then, several papers
have appeared, giving light to the complex anatomy of the odontocete sound
production structures and mechanisms. At the same time, the main topics of
what was presented in this dissertation are still unrevealed. This, and the
fact that it was originally written in Spanish, made me decide to translate
it into English to allow the scientific community access to its content. I
would like to point out that there was no digital imagery at that time, as
all was based on conventional photography and slides. I really think and
hope the current publication will be useful for other anatomists or
scientists in general, looking for a deeper insight into this subject. I
would like to thank Steffen De Vreese for the translation, as he did not
just translate the dissertation into English but needed a comprehensive
understanding of the morphology and function described for a better
interpretation and writing."

The PDF can be accessed at:
https://ddd.uab.cat/record/249577

Best wishes,
Steffen De Vreese

--
Steffen De Vreese, MVM, PhD
Dipartimento di Biomedicina Comparata e Alimentazione (BCA) - Università