Dear colleagues

We are pleased to share with you our new publication where we identified
that consumption of aquatic megafauna is widespread in coastal tropical and
subtropical regions:

Ingram, D., Prideaux, M., Hodgins, N., Frisch-Nwakanma, H., Avila, I.C.,
Collins, T., Cosentino, M., W Keith-Diagne, L., Marsh, H.D., Shirley, M.H.,
Van Waerebeek, K., Djondo, M.K., Fukuda, Y., Glaus, K.B.J., Jabado, R.W.,
Lang, J.W., Lüber, S., Manolis, C., Webb, G.J.W., & L. Porter. (2022).
Widespread use of migratory megafauna for aquatic wild meat in the tropics
and subtropics. Frontiers in Marine Science. 9
https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2022.837447

Abstract:
Wild animals are captured or taken opportunistically, and the meat, body
parts, and/or eggs are consumed for local subsistence or used for
traditional purposes to some extent across most of the world, particularly
in the tropics and subtropics. The consumption of aquatic animals is
widespread, in some places has been sustained for millennia, and can be an
important source of nutrition, income, and cultural identity to
communities. Yet, economic opportunities to exploit wildlife at higher
levels have led to unsustainable exploitation of some species. In the
literature, there has been limited focus on the exploitation of aquatic
non-fish animals for food and other purposes. Understanding the scope and
potential threat of aquatic wild meat exploitation is an important first
step toward appropriate inclusion on the international policy and
conservation management agenda. Here, we conduct a review of the
literature, and present an overview of the contemporary use of aquatic
megafauna (cetaceans, sirenians, chelonians, and crocodylians) in the
global tropics and subtropics, for species listed on the Appendices of the
Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS).
We find that consumption of aquatic megafauna is widespread in coastal
regions, although to varying degrees, and that some species are likely to
be at risk from overexploitation, particularly riverine megafauna. Finally,
we provide recommendations for CMS in the context of the mandate of the
Aquatic Wild Meat Working Group.

The article is Open Access and is available here:
https://www.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmars.2022.837447

Best regards,
Isabel C. Avila

--
Dr. Isabel Cristina Avila Jiménez
Marine Biologist PhD in Environmental Sciences