Dear members of the MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our recent open-access
publication in Scientific Reports: Validation of quantitative fatty acid
signature analysis for estimating the diet composition of free-ranging
killer whales. <https://rdcu.be/cNtY9>

You can find a recap of our main findings aimed at the public, as well as
an infographic recap (in English, French and Danish) of the paper here:
https://whalescientists.com/killer-whales-diets/

Please reach out to me if you have questions/comments. I am also available
to collaborate if you wish to test or validate QFASA on other cetacean
species. You can reach me at anais.rem...@mail.mcgill.ca.

We will present the results of this method applied to over 200 wild North
Atlantic killer whales at the SMM 2022 in Florida.

Here is the abstract:

Accurate diet estimates are necessary to assess trophic interactions and
food web dynamics in ecosystems, particularly for apex predators like
cetaceans, which can regulate entire food webs. Quantitative fatty acid
analysis (QFASA) has been used to estimate the diets of marine predators

 in the last decade but has yet to be implemented on free‐ranging
cetaceans, from which typically only biopsy samples containing outer
blubber are available, due to a lack of empirically determined calibration
coefficients (CCs) that account for fatty acid (FA) metabolism. Here, we
develop and validate QFASA for killer whales using full blubber from
managed‐care and free‐ranging individuals. First, we compute full, inner,
and outer blubber CCs from the FA signatures across the blubber layers of
managed‐care killer whales and their long‐term diet items. We then run
cross‐validating simulations on the managed‐care individuals to evaluate
the accuracy of diet estimates by comparing full-depth and depth‐specific
estimates to true diets. Finally, we apply these approaches to
subsistence-harvested killer whales from Greenland to test the utility of
the method for free‐ranging killer whales, particularly for the outer
blubber. Accurate diet estimates for the managed‐care killer whales were
only achieved using killer whale‐specific and blubber‐layer‐specific CCs.
Modeled diets for the Greenlandic killer whales largely consisted of seals
(75.9 ± 4.7%) and/or fish (20.4 ± 2.4%), mainly mackerel, which was
consistent with stomach content data and limited literature on this
population. Given the remote habitats and below surface feeding of most
cetaceans, this newly developed cetacean‐specific QFASA method, which can
be applied to outer‐layer biopsies, offers promise to provide a significant
new understanding of diet dynamics of free‐ranging odontocetes and perhaps
other cetacean species throughout the world’s oceans.

Cheers,

Anais Remili

PS: here is the citation if needed - Remili, A., Dietz, R., Sonne, C. *et
al.* Validation of quantitative fatty acid signature analysis for
estimating the diet composition of free-ranging killer whales. *Sci Rep*
*12, *7938 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-11660-4