Dear MARMAM colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our new open access publication in
Marine Mammal Science:

Nicole R. E.
Todd<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?ContribAuthorRaw=Todd%2C+Nicole+R+E>,
 Mark
Jessopp<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?ContribAuthorRaw=Jessopp%2C+Mark>,
 Emer
Rogan<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?ContribAuthorRaw=Rogan%2C+Emer>,
 Ailbhe S.
Kavanagh<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?ContribAuthorRaw=Kavanagh%2C+Ailbhe+S>
 (2022) Extracting foraging behavior from passive acoustic monitoring data to
better understand harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) foraging habitat use.

Article link: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12951

Abstract:
For odontocetes, passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) can be used to differentiate
between occurrence and foraging through analysis of click characteristics.
Feeding buzzes and navigation/searching echolocation clicks of harbor porpoise
(Phocoena phocoena) were differentiated within C-POD data from northwest
Ireland between 2009 and 2017. The spatiotemporal distribution of foraging
behavior was investigated using generalized additive modelling, at multiple
temporal scales. Both the presence/absence of buzzes and foraging intensity
(defined by buzz:click ratios) were determined. Feeding buzzes were identified
in one third of porpoise positive hours, ranging from 15% in summer, to 40% in
autumn, highlighting seasonal variation irrespective of porpoise occurrence.
Complex interannual variation in foraging behavior was also shown across the
time series. A strong nocturnal peak in foraging intensity was observed. We
found increased porpoise foraging with dolphin species detections within the
same hour, and a negative impact of construction activities, involving both
impulsive and broadband noise. Results highlight the value of long-term
acoustic time series, by quantifying variation, and show that extracting
foraging behavior from occurrence data can help to unravel habitat use
patterns, responses to disturbance, and seasonal changes in behavior.
Understanding when and how a species uses an area can better inform marine
spatial planning and help mitigate anthropogenic impacts.

Best wishes,
Nicole

Nicole Todd| PhD student

MaREI Centre | School of Biological, Earth & Environmental Science
University College Cork
+353 (0)21 486 4395

@NicoleRETodd