Hi all,

My co-authors and I are excited to share our new publication in Global Ecology
and Conservation, where we have investigated the hierarchical genomic
population structure of Cuvier’s and Blainville’s beaked whales using ddRAD and
whole mitogenome sequencing. Our paper is available open-access at:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gecco.2022.e02308.

Kind regards,
Aubrie Onoufriou
aubrieonoufr...@gmail.com

Title: “Biogeography in the deep: Hierarchical population genomic structure of
two beaked whale species”

Authors:
Aubrie B. Onoufriou, Oscar E. Gaggiotti, Natacha Aguilar de Soto, Morten T.
Olsen, Morgan L. McCarthy, Phillip A. Morin, Massimiliano Rosso, Merel
Dalebout, Nicholas Davison, Robin W. Baird, C. Scott Baker, Simon Berrow,
Andrew Brownlow, Daniel Burns, Florence Caurant, Diane Claridge, Rochelle
Constantine, Fabien Demaret, Sascha Dreyer, Martina Ðuras, John Durban,
Alexandros Frantzis, Luis Freitas, Gabrielle Genty, Ana Galov, Sabine S.
Hansen, Andrew C. Kitchener, Vidal Martin, Antonio A. Mignucci-Giannoni,
Valeria Montano, Aurelie Moulins, Carlos Olavarría, M. Michael Poole, Cristel
Reyes Suárez, Emer Rogan, Conor Ryan, Agustina Schiavi, Paola Tepsich, Jorge
Urban, Kristi West, & Emma L. Carroll

Abstract:
The deep sea is the largest ecosystem on Earth, yet little is known about the
processes driving patterns of genetic diversity in its inhabitants. Here, we
investigated the macro- and microevolutionary processes shaping genomic
population structure and diversity in two poorly understood, globally
distributed, deep-sea predators: Cuvier’s beaked whale (Ziphius cavirostris)
and Blainville’s beaked whale (Mesoplodon densirostris). We used double-digest
restriction associated DNA (ddRAD) and whole mitochondrial genome (mitogenome)
sequencing to characterise genetic patterns using phylogenetic trees, cluster
analysis, isolation-by-distance, genetic diversity and differentiation
statistics. Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs; Blainville’s n = 43 samples,
SNPs=13988; Cuvier’s n = 123, SNPs= 30479) and mitogenomes (Blainville’s n =
27; Cuvier’s n = 35) revealed substantial hierarchical structure at a global
scale. Both species display significant genetic structure between the Atlantic,
Indo-Pacific and in Cuvier’s, the Mediterranean Sea. Within major ocean basins,
clear differentiation is found between genetic clusters on the east and west
sides of the North Atlantic, and some distinct patterns of structure in the
Indo-Pacific and Southern Hemisphere. We infer that macroevolutionary processes
shaping patterns of genetic diversity include biogeographical barriers,
highlighting the importance of such barriers even to highly mobile, deep-diving
taxa. The barriers likely differ between the species due to their thermal
tolerances and evolutionary histories. On a microevolutionary scale, it seems
likely that the balance between resident populations displaying site fidelity,
and transient individuals facilitating gene flow, shapes patterns of
connectivity and genetic drift in beaked whales. Based on these results, we
propose management units to facilitate improved conservation measures for these
elusive species.