Dear colleagues,

On behalf of all co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our
article: Ewbank et al. (2022). Herpesvirus and adenovirus surveillance in
threatened wild West Indian (Trichechus manatus) and Amazonian manatees
(Trichechus inunguis), Brazil. Acta Tropica.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2022.106740.

[https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0001706X22004326-ga1.jpg]<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2022.106740>
Herpesvirus and adenovirus surveillance in threatened wild West Indian
(Trichechus manatus) and Amazonian manatees (Trichechus inunguis),
Brazil<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2022.106740>
African (Trichechus senegalenses), West Indian (T. manatus), WIM)], and the
Amazonian manatees (T. inunguis, AMM). Whereas WIM inhabits both riverine …
doi.org



In this manuscript we used panPCR protocols to survey herpesvirus and
adenovirus in blood samples of wild West Indian manatees (WIM, n = 23) and
Amazonian manatees (AMM, n = 26) under human care in Brazil. Herpesvirus DNA
was detected in one juvenile female WIM (1/23; 4.3%; 95% CI -4.7 – 13.3) from
Ceará state and in four AMM (two juvenile females, a juvenile male, and an
adult female; 4/26; 15.4%; 95% CI 0.5 – 30.3) from Amazonas state. The two
different gammaherpesvirus DNA polymerase sequence types identified (one per
species, a sequence type in a WIM and another one in three AMM) were highly
similar (99% nucleotide identity) to Trichechid herpesvirus 1, reported in West
Indian manatees of Florida (USA), and 100% identical when translated into amino
acids. A herpesviral glycoprotein B sequence was identified in two AMM. None of
the samples was positive to adenovirus. To the authors’ knowledge, this is the
first herpesvirus detection in manatees from South America, expanding the
herpesvirus geographical range, and the first in WIM and AMM worldwide. Our
findings suggest (i) that West Indian and Amazonian manatees are possibly the
natural hosts of the detected herpesvirus, and (ii) coevolution of that
gammaherpesvirus with Trichechus. Future studies are necessary to characterize
the obtained virus and elucidate potential pathological effects (if any) in
these species.

You can discover more in the link: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1g3rH,2UvtInc

Best regards,

Carlos Sacristan

DVM, MSc, PhD

Postdoctoral Researcher, DVM, MSc, PhD

Epidemiology and Environmental Health Group (EYSA)

Centro de Investigación en Sanidad Animal

Instituto Nacional de Investigacion y Tecnologia Agraria y Alimentaria

Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas

Member of the Expert Advisory Panel on Strandings of the International Whaling
Commission