Hello MARMAM,

On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to share our new publication
"Spatial variation in carbon source use and trophic position of ringed
seals across a latitudinal gradient of sea ice" available open access in
Ecological Indicators.

Carlyle, C.G., Roth, J.D., Yurkowski, D.J., Kohlbach, D., Young, B.G.,
Brown, T.A., Riget, F.F., Dietz, R., Ferguson, S.H. 2022. Spatial variation
in carbon source use and trophic position of ringed seals across a
latitudinal gradient of sea ice. Ecological Indicators.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2022.109746

The publication can be accessed through this link:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1470160X22012195

Abstract
Anthropogenic climate change is causing changes to the Arctic sea-ice
system with implications for the magnitude and timing of Arctic pelagic and
ice-associated (sympagic) primary production that influences food web
interactions. Ringed seals (Pusa hispida) are generalist predators that, as
a species experience vastly different icescapes from low to high-Arctic
latitudes. Quantifying spatial variation in their diet can help us
understand how changes in sea-ice dynamics affect trophic interactions in
Arctic marine food webs. However, multiple complementary analytical tools
to examine variation in carbon source use and trophic dynamics in the diet
of ringed seals have not yet been applied across their latitudinal range in
the Arctic. We conducted stable isotope analysis (δ13C and δ15N) and
measured highly branched isoprenoid diatom lipid biomarkers of ringed seals
from the low, intermediate, and high Arctic (from 61.1◦N to 77.5 ◦N) to
investigate spatial variation in their carbon source use and trophic
position in relation to sea-ice dynamics. Both δ13C and highly branched
isoprenoids indicated that ringed seals from higher latitudes had more
sympagic carbon in their diet (liver δ13C: 18.3 ± 0.2 ‰, HBI: 89.9 ± 2.08
%) than ringed seals at lower latitudes (liver δ13C: 21.1 ± 0.1 ‰, HBI:
22.0 ± 2.73 %). Ringed seal trophic position increased from the low (3.78 ±
0.02) to high (4.76 ± 0.03) Arctic, suggesting increased fish consumption
or a different trophic structure coinciding with the latitudinal change in
carbon source. Ringed seals demonstrated a clear shift from low to high
Arctic in the relative contribution of phytoplanktonic vs sympagic primary
production. These patterns are likely linked to the vastly different
icescapes in these environments and demonstrate that shifts in primary
producer composition and Arctic food webs can be identified in ringed seal
diets. Information on these prey and energy shifts over large spatial
scales also provides insights into potential future changes to Arctic
ecosystem function with continued sea-ice decline.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Cody Carlyle, MSc
PhD Student, University of New Brunswick
Saint John, NB
cgca...@gmail.com
https://codygcarlyle.squarespace.com/home