Dear Marmam colleagues:

Don Baur, a mentor to many in the marine mammal policy world, passed away on
December 15 from cancer. Don joined Perkins Coie in 1987, after working as a
lawyer for the Department of the Interior and serving as General Counsel for
the U.S. Marine Mammal Commission. He was promoted to partner at the firm in
1993 and rose to become a cornerstone of the firm's environmental practice.
Through Vermont Law School, he helped trained a generation of environmental
lawyers. He was a superb practitioner who was widely respected throughout the
country. His wisdom, calm pragmatism, and generous spirit were widely valued
within the marine policy world.

Don taught at Vermont Law School, Golden Gate School of Law and the
Environmental Law Institute. He edited two editions of the American Bar
Association's books "Endangered Species Act: Law, Policy, and Perspectives" and
"Ocean and Coastal Law and Policy," and he co-authored "Best Practices for
Protecting Natural Resources on Tribal Lands." Don's deep interest in and
dedication to marine mammals, the marine environment, and national parks were
central to his professional legacy. He spent hundreds-more likely thousands-of
hours doing pro bono work to help whales, sea otters, parks, and the
environment. He never seemed to sleep and made himself available whenever he
was needed.

Don served on the boards of numerous organizations, including the National
Marine Sanctuary Foundation, the Shenandoah National Park Trust, the Park
Institute of America, and the Pegasus Foundation. He was legal counsel for the
Whale Sanctuary Project. He received the Marine Wildlife Conservation Award
from the Center for Marine Conservation, the 1872 Award for Service to the
National Parks from the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, and the
Animal Welfare Advocacy Award from the Pegasus Foundation. At Perkins Coie, Don
received the 2022 Shan Mullin Community Leadership and Service Award and the
2019 Pro Bono Leadership Award.

For so many of us in the marine mammal policy world, Don was our colleague,
mentor, and most importantly our friend. It is difficult to express how deeply
he will be missed. He did not seek the limelight, but was behind so many
efforts to protect marine mammals. His first response to any issue brought to
his attention was, "How can I help?" His loss leaves a profound vacuum in the
marine mammal advocacy community.

For anyone who wishes to make a donation in Don's honor, his family has
suggested the Apostle Islands Historic Preservation
Conservancy<https://www.facebook.com/apostleislandshpc>-these islands meant a
great deal to him personally. There are plans for a memorial service by his
friends and colleagues in the new year. Please feel free to reach out to me at
na...@awionline.org<mailto:na...@awionline.org> for more information.

[13_AWILogo_ONLY]

NAOMI A. ROSE, PH.D.
Marine Mammal Scientist
ANIMAL WELFARE INSTITUTE
T: +1 202 446 2120 ~ C: +1 240 401 4269
www.awionline.org<http://www.awionline.org/>

P  Please consider the animals and their habitat before printing