Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of the Editorial board of the Latin American Journal of Aquatic
Mammals (LAJAM), led by our Editor-in-Chief Dr. Miriam Marmontiel and our
Managing Editor Dr. Daniel González-Socoloske, I would like to announce the
publication of a Special Issue for the 20th anniversary of the Journal.

As many of you may already know, LAJAM is an open access peer-reviewed
scientific electronic journal that publishes articles on research, management
and conservation biology of aquatic mammals in Latin America.

To celebrate our 20-year milestone, a new special issue of the journal was
conceived with the idea of publishing a series of review papers focusing on
major topics related to the aquatic mammals of Latin America. A call for
proposals was sent to aquatic mammal scientists that work in the area. We
received over 30 proposals, which were carefully reviewed and the authors of 15
of these proposals  were  invited  to  submit  reviews. The  Editor-in-Chief
along  with  four  associate  editors  (Nataly  Castelblanco-Martinez,  Daniel
Gonzalez-Socoloske,  Carolina  Loch, and Aldo S. Pacheco) were selected as
guest editors for this special issue. In the end, 10 review articles passed the
peer-review process, and these are:

Huesca-Domínguez,  I.,  Morteo,  E.,  Hernández-Candelario,  I.,
Delfín-Alfonso,  C.  A.,  Abarca-Arenas,  L.  G.,  Marmontel,  M.,  & Palacios,
D.M. (2023). Two decades of the Latin American Journal of Aquatic Mammals
(LAJAM): A bibliometric review for the period 2002 – 2022. Latin American
Journal of Aquatic Mammals, 18(1), 5-20. https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00294

Borobia, M., Vail, C., Pusineri, C., & Conruyt, G. (2023). Review of threats
and implementation of the Regional Action Plan for the Conservation of Marine
Mammals in the Wider Caribbean Region. Latin  American  Journal  of  Aquatic
Mammals,  18(1), 21-38. https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00300

Escobar-Lazcano,  M.  J.,  Morteo,  E.,  Delfin-Alfonso,  C.  A.,
Hernández-Candelario,  I.  C.,  &  Abarca-Arenas,  L.  G.  (2023).  Trends and
gaps in marine mammal research from Mexico during 1998 - 2021. Latin American
Journal of Aquatic Mammals, 18(1), 39-49. https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00299

Viglino,  M.,  Valenzuela-Toro,  A.  M.,  Benites-Palomino,  A.,
Hernández-Cisneros, A. E., Gutstein, C. S., Aguirre-Fernández, G.,
Vélez-Juarbe, J., Cozzuol, M. A., Buono, M. R., & Loch, C. (2023). Aquatic
mammal fossils in Latin America – a review of records, advances and challenges
in research in the last 30 years. Latin American Journal of Aquatic Mammals,
18(1), 50-65. https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00295

Loizaga, R., Caballero, S., Cunha, H. A., Gravena, W., Herrerra-Trujillo,  O.,
Lopes,  F.,  Milmann,  L.,  Ott,  P.  H.,  Pérez-Alvarez,  M.  J.,  Túnez,  J.
I.,  Durante,  C.  A.,  &  Oliveira,  L.  R.  (2023).  South American aquatic
mammals: an overview of 20 years focusing on molecular techniques applied to
conservation. Latin  American  Journal  of  Aquatic  Mammals,  18(1),  66-95.
https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00303

Chávez-Andrade,  M.,  de  la  Cueva,  H.,  Luévano-Esparza,  J.,  &  Lavín
Murcio, P. A. (2023). Contributions of bioacoustics to the scientific knowledge
of marine mammals in Latin America.Latin  American  Journal  of  Aquatic
Mammals,  18(1),  96-113.  https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00302

Gonzalez-Socoloske, D., & Olivera-Gómez, L. D. (2023). Seeing in the dark: A
review of the use of side-scan sonar to detect and  study  manatees,  with  an
emphasis  on  Latin  America.  Latin  American  Journal  of  Aquatic  Mammals,
18(1),  114-124.  https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00301

Amaral,  R.  S.,  Marmontel,  M.,  Souza,  D.  A.,  Carvalho,  C.  C.,
Valdevino,  G.  C.  M.,  Guterres-Pazin,  M.  G.,  Mello,  D.  M.  D.,  Lima,
D.  S.,  Chávez-Pérez,  H.  I.,  &  da  Silva,  V.  M.  F.  (2023).  Advances
in the knowledge of the biology and conservation of the Amazonian manatee
(Trichechus inunguis). Latin American Journal  of  Aquatic  Mammals,  18(1),
125-138.  https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00296da

Silva,  V.  M.  F.,  Brum,  S.  M.,  Mello,  D.  M.  D.,  Amaral,  R.  S.,
Gravena,  W.,  Campbell,  E.,  Gonçalves,  R.  S.,  &  Mintzer,  V.  J.
(2023).  The  Amazon  River  dolphin,  Inia  geoffrensis:  What  have we
learned in the last two decades of research? Latin American Journal of Aquatic
Mammals, 18(1), 139-157. https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00298

Castelblanco-Martínez, D. N., Gonzalez-Socoloske, D., Cabrias, L.,
Garcés-Cuartas, N., Arévalo-González, G. K., Borges, J. C. G., & Marmontel, M.
(2023). Accomplishments and challenges of research on the Antillean manatee: A
bibliometric analysis. Latin  American  Journal  of  Aquatic  Mammals,  18(1),
158-166.  https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00297

Please click the following link to have full access to the publications:

https://lajamjournal.org/index.php/lajam/issue/view/49

We hope you enjoy reading these contributions, and we also invite you to
consider our journal to submit your next manuscripts:

https://lajamjournal.org/index.php/lajam/about/submissions

Kind regards,

Dr. Eduardo Morteo

Director

Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas
Universidad Veracruzana

Calle Dr. Castelazo Ayala S/N, Col. Industrial Ánimas
CP 91190, Xalapa, Veracruz, México.

Ph/Tel: +52 (228) 841 89 00
E-mail: emor...@uv.mx

http://www.uv.mx/personal/emorteo/