Dear MARMAM community,
We are pleased to share our recent publication: Short communication: New
records of sperm whale social units in the Pelagos Sanctuary, Mediterranean
Sea,  published in the Journal of Cetacean Research and Management.

Abstract:
In the Ligurian Sea, the northern part of the Western Mediterranean Sea,
sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus Linnaeus, 1758) are historically
sighted as solitary individuals or loose aggregations of males, while
social units are extremely occasional. On 21 August 2020, two different
social units were recorded in this area with an estimate of 21 individuals
in total (12 in the first and nine in the second). The Mediterranean sperm
whale subpopulation is considered Endangered under the IUCN Red List and an
understanding of its movements and social structure is lacking. These
observations increase our knowledge on its conservation biology and
possible threats.

You can find the article here:
https://journal.iwc.int/index.php/jcrm/article/view/352

Many thanks and best wishes,