Dear all,

On behalf of all co-authors, I'm happy to inform you of our newest
publication on the decadal decline of maternal body condition of southern
right whales.

Vermeulen, E., Thavar, T., Glarou, M., Ganswindt, A., Christiansen, F.
Decadal decline in maternal body condition of a Southern Ocean capital
breeder. Scientific Reports, 2023

Abstract
The changing physical properties of the Southern Ocean are known to impact
the recruitment and survival of Antarctic krill (*Euphausia superba*). For
oceanic krill predators, the resulting reduced energy intake may lead to
population-level effects likely preceded by an alteration in the
animals’ body condition. This is especially true for capital breeders that
rely on stored energy for successful reproduction. One such Southern Ocean
capital breeder, the southern right whale (*Eubalaena australis*), has been
monitored over the past 43 years in their South African wintering ground.
Changes in the population have been documented in the past decade,
including a decreased reproductive rate and a shift in foraging strategy.
To evaluate if a reduced foraging success is an underlying factor,
we assessed the temporal variation in morphological body condition through
aerial photogrammetry. Results showed a 23% reduction in maternal body
condition, potentially contributing to the decreased reproductive rate of
the population. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to
quantify a decadal reduction in the body condition of a capital breeder
dependent on Southern  Ocean productivity. Understanding the bioenergetic
consequences of environmental change is vital to predicting species’
resilience to climate change.

The article is open access, and can be downloaded from the link below:
https://rdcu.be/c6iWf <https://t.co/BBSmEzjqfB>

Kind regards,

Els

Dr Els Vermeulen