Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our latest paper
on delphinid mixed-species groups in Scientific Reports.

Syme, J., Kiszka, J.J. & Parra, G.J. Habitat partitioning, co-occurrence
patterns, and mixed-species group formation in sympatric delphinids. Sci Rep
13, 3599 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-30694-w

Abstract: Numerous species have been reported to form mixed-species groups,
however, little is known about the interplay between niche partitioning and
mixed-species group formation. Furthermore, it is often unclear whether species
come together by chance due to overlapping habitat preferences, by shared
attraction to resources, or by attraction between them. We assessed habitat
partitioning, co-occurrence patterns, and mixed-species group formation of
sympatric Australian humpback (Sousa sahulensis) and Indo-Pacific bottlenose
dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) around the North West Cape, Western Australia, with
a joint species distribution model and temporal analyses of sighting data.
Australian humpback dolphins preferred shallower and more nearshore waters than
Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins, yet these species co-occurred more often than
expected by chance given shared responses to environmental variables.
Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins were sighted more often than Australian
humpback dolphins during the afternoon, however, we did not find any temporal
patterns in the occurrence of mixed-species groups. We propose that the
positive association in the species' occurrence indicates the active formation
of mixed-species groups. By evaluating habitat partitioning and co-occurrence
patterns, this study provides direction for future work which should proceed to
investigate the benefits that these species may gain from grouping with each
other.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at
jonathan.s...@flinders.edu.au<mailto:jonathan.s...@flinders.edu.au>

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Syme, PhD
Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Lab
Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia