Dear Marmam Community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our new paper:

Mihova, S., Doncheva, V., Stefanova, K., Stefanova, E., Popov, D., Panayotova, M. Plastic ingestion by /Phocoena phocoena/ and /Tursiops truncatus/ from the Black Sea in the book: Environmental Protection and Disaster Risks

DOI: 10.1007/978-3-031-26754-3_26 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-26754-3_26>

<http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-26754-3_26>

Abstract: Stomach contents and intestines of two species of cetaceans from the superfamily toothed whales (Odontoceti), collected in the western part of the Black Sea during the period 2020–2021 were inspected for the presence of plastic particles. Microplastics (<5 mm) were found in all 2 bottlenose dolphins (/Tursiops truncatus/ ssp. /ponticus / Barabash-Nikiforov, 1940) from the dolphin family (Delphinidae) and micro- and mesoplastics (5–25 mm) were found in 24 of 29 harbour porpoises (/Phocoena phocoena/ ssp./relicta/ Abel, 1905) from the porpoise family (Phocoenidae). A total of 197 plastic particles were recorded in 26 individuals (84% of all individuals examined, 21 of 25 female and 5 of 6 male animals). The average number of plastic particles per cetacean was 6.35 ± 6.92 par.ind., ranged 0 to 25 per individual. The most common type of plastic identified were fibres (43%) and fragments (36%). The most frequent plastic colour recognized was grey, blue and black.

Best regards,

Dimitar Popov

*__________________________________________________
Dimitar Popov (Mr.)
**Project Manager
GREEN BALKANS NGO*

LIFE19 NAT/BG/000804 LIFE FOR POMORIE LAGOON

1, Skopie str., office 10
Plovdiv 4004, Bulgaria
Tel: +359 (0) 32 626 977
Fax: +359 (0) 32 635 921