Dear MARMAMers,

We are happy to share our new open access paper:

"Stakeholder consensus suggests strategies to promote sustainability in an
artisanal fishery with high rates of poaching and marine mammal bycatch"

Published in the journal People & Nature, available here:
https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pan3.10490

Abstract

  1.  Illegal fishing for high value species in artisanal fisheries drives
incidental catch and declines of marine mammals and other large vertebrates of
conservation importance around the world. Engaging with stakeholders is
essential to understand which strategies will be effective in motivating the
development of more sustainable practices, and disengagement from illegal
fisheries.
  2.  Here we present the results of a Q study carried out in autumn 2018 with
50 stakeholders from the Caspian Sea coast of Dagestan (Russian Federation),
including fishers illegally targeting sturgeon (Acipenseridae) and Caspian
seals Pusa caspica, traders and fisheries managers. We assess viewpoints on
biodiversity governance; illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing;
illegal wildlife trade (IWT) and conservation.
  3.  Three distinct viewpoint groups emerged from a factor analysis, which we
designated as 'Nostalgists', 'Optimists' and 'Pessimists'. Nostalgists were
concerned with decline in environmental quality, and emphasised a need for
increased centralised involvement of authorities reminiscent of the old Soviet
system. Optimists expressed support for a well-regulated legal fisheries
sector, while Pessimists were very aware of the negative impact of illegal
fisheries and IWT, but felt they could not be controlled.
  4.  Among all groups we found a strong desire for alternative livelihoods
(ALs), improved sustainability and agreement on the potential effectiveness of
marine protected areas (MPAs) and increased regulation, even if some
stakeholders felt they were not achievable goals.
  5.  We used our results to inform three workshops in which Dagestani fishers
and fishery experts discussed potential conservation interventions, and the
barriers to their implementation. Six action types were identified including
enhanced law enforcement, increased regulation, protected areas, alternative
livelihoods, reducing demand for sturgeon and seal products and the need for
further research to guide policy development.
  6.  This consensus suggests that communities are willing to reduce
participation in illegal fishing given appropriate support. The socioeconomic
factors driving illegal fisheries and bycatch for Caspian seals parallel those
for other endangered marine mammals such as Vaquita Phocoena sinus and suggest
that Q studies could be applied in other artisanal fisheries with high rates of
marine mammal bycatch to help identify policy interventions supported by
involved communities.

Citation:

Svolkinas, L., Holmes, G., Dmitrieva, L., Ermolin, I., Suvorkov, P., & Goodman,
S. J. (2023). Stakeholder consensus suggests strategies to promote
sustainability in an artisanal fishery with high rates of poaching and marine
mammal bycatch. People and Nature, 00, 1- 20. https://doi.org/10.1002/pan3.10490

Dr Simon Goodman
School of Biology
Manton Building
University of Leeds
Woodhouse Lane
Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK

Tel: +44-(0)113-3432561, Fax: +44-(0)113-3432835
Email: s.j.good...@leeds.ac.uk<mailto:s.j.good...@leeds.ac.uk>
Web: http://www.goodmanlab.org/
Twitter: @DrSimon_Goodman

Sustainable Ecosystems and Adaptation Research Pillar Lead
Ecology & Evolution Research Group Lead, School of Biology
Director of PGR Studies, School of Biology