Hi MarMamers,
On behalf of my co-authors from the IndoCet network it is my pleasure to
announce our new publication on strandings in the south-western Indian
Ocean (SWIO):

Plön, S., Norman, S., Adam, P. A., Andrianarivelo, N., Bachoo, S., Braulik,
G., Collins, T., Estrade, V., Griffiths, O., Inteca, G., Khan, N.,
Marinesque, S., Mederic, E., Mwang’ombe, M., Olbers, J.,  Ramoelintsalama,
L., Reeve-Arnold, K., Rocha, D., Gullan, A. D., Saloma, A., Vermeulen, E.,
Vitry, H., Wilkinson, C. and V. Dulau. 2023. Spatio-temporal trends in
cetacean strandings and response in the southwestern Indian Ocean region -
2000 to 2020. *Journal of Cetacean Research and Management *24: 95-119.

Abstract:

The south‐western Indian Ocean (SWIO) is a region of global importance for
marine mammal biodiversity, but our understanding of most of the species
and populations found there is still rudimentary. The Indian Ocean Network
for Cetacean Research (IndoCet) was formed in 2014 and is dedicated to the
research of all cetacean species across the SWIO. Since 2019, there have
been efforts to create a regional network for coordinated response to
stranding events as well as training and capacity building in the SWIO
region. The present analysis represents a first investigation of stranding
data collected by various members and collaborators within the IndoCet
network, covering over 14,800km of coastline belonging to nine
countries/territories. Between 2000–2020, there were 397 stranding events,
representing 1,232 individual animals, 17 genera and 27 species, belonging
to six families: four balaenopterids, one balaenid, one physeterid, two
kogiids, six ziphiids and 14 delphinids. Seven mass strandings were
recorded: two were composed of three to 20 individuals and five composed of
> 20 individuals. Spatial analysis of stranding events indicated that local
spatio‐temporal clusters (excessive number of events in time and geographic
space) were present in all countries/territories, except for the Comoros.
The only significant cluster was detected on the southwest coast of
Mauritius, just west of the village of Souillac. The SWIO region
predominantly comprises relatively poor countries/territories, but imminent
Ocean economy developments are prevalent throughout the region. This study
highlights the importance of establishing baselines upon which any future
potential impact from anthropogenic developments in the region can be
measured.

The article can be downloaded at:

https://doi.org/10.47536/jcrm.v24i1.396

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions:
stephanie.pl...@gmail.com

Kind regards,
Stephanie