Dear MARMAM colleagues,

        On behalf of my co-authors I would like to share our recent
publication in Marine Mammal Science:

Romeu, B., Daura-Jorge, F. G., Hammond, P. S., Castilho, P. V., &
Simões-Lopes, P. C.
(2023). Assessing spatial patterns and density of a dolphin population
through signature whistles. Marine Mammal Science, 1–15.
https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13070

Abstract
Some dolphin species produce signature whistles, which may allow the
identification of individual dolphins using passive acoustic monitoring
(PAM). Identifying individuals by their sounds may enhance the
opportunities for monitoring and addressing biological and ecological
questions about these species. Here, we explored the potential of signature
whistles to investigate ecological aspects of a resident bottlenose dolphin
population. Using a limited data set, with few individuals recognized by
signature whistles, combined with spatial capture-recapture (SCR) methods,
we investigated how effective such approach is describing spatial use
patterns and estimating density for this population. The data were
collected using 4–6 stationary bottom-moored recorders. Since only eight
signature whistles were identified, our density estimate may represent a
subset of the entire population. However, even with only a few signature
whistles identified, our results confirmed the center of the core area used
by these dolphins as the area with the highest encounter probability. In
addition, our results provided evidence that these dolphins have the same
spatial use pattern at night as during the day. This study shows that SCR
analysis of signature whistle data can improve our ecological knowledge and
understanding of dolphin populations.

Any question or information about this paper, please contact me:
romeu.bia...@gmail.com

Kind regards,
--
*Bianca Romeu *