Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share with you our new
publication in Frontiers in Marine Science entitled "Standardizing gross
descriptions of skin lesions in common bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops
truncatus*) stranded in Southwest Florida, 2015–2019."

Abstract
As the first line of defense, the integumentary system is critical in
comprehensively evaluating dolphin morbidity during stranding response.
Most published studies on skin lesions in bottlenose dolphins (*Tursiops
truncatus*) lack standardized gross descriptions and methodologies for
evaluating lesions. The primary objective of this study was to evaluate the
effectiveness of an assessment matrix designed to consistently describe
skin lesions based on a set of standardized gross description
characteristics. The matrix was implemented by reviewing necropsy reports,
histopathology reports, and photographs collected from bottlenose dolphins
stranded in Southwest Florida from 2015 through 2019. Of the 32 dolphins
that met the inclusion criteria, 19 presented with skin lesions and five
reviewers described each of the 46 lesions according to a novel,
standardized assessment matrix. The most common descriptor selected, in
each of the respective matrix categories, were, by anatomic location, head;
distribution, multifocal to coalescing; quantity, moderate (10–30); size,
<2 cm; shape, punctate; margin, rounded; color modifier, hyperpigmentation;
texture, smooth; and texture modifier, flat. These prevalent descriptors
coincided with the frequent occurrence of histologically described hydropic
degeneration (n=7, 15.2%) and were confirmed poxviral lesions in 6.52%
(n=3). Identifying lesion patterns using standardized descriptors
capitalizes on the unique pathogen tissue tropism and the implementation of
certain disease mechanisms in the integumentary system. Therefore, it can
facilitate differential disease diagnoses and guide ancillary diagnostics
testing. The use of standardized descriptors will aid in etiologic
identification and monitoring of skin lesions and associated diseases,
advancing our understanding of dolphin morbidity and mortality.

Open access is available here:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2023.1269075/full

Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Regards,
Meghan Sutton Joachim, M.P.S.
meghan.sutto...@gmail.com