Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to share the publication of our open access paper on call
combination patterns in Icelandic killer whales.

Selbmann A, Miller PJO, Wensveen PJ, Svavarsson J & Samarra FIP (2023) Call
combination patterns in Icelandic killer whales (Orcinus orca). Scientific
Reports. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-48349-1

Abstract
Acoustic sequences have been described in a range of species and in varying
complexity. Cetaceans are known to produce complex song displays but these are
generally limited to mysticetes; little is known about call combinations in
odontocetes. Here we investigate call combinations produced by killer whales
(Orcinus orca), a highly social and vocal species. Using acoustic recordings
from 22 multisensor tags, we use a first order Markov model to show that
transitions between call types or subtypes were significantly different from
random, with repetitions and specific call combinations occurring more often
than expected by chance. The mixed call combinations were composed of two or
three calls and were part of three call combination clusters. Call combinations
were recorded over several years, from different individuals, and several
social clusters. The most common call combination cluster consisted of six call
(sub-)types. Although different combinations were generated, there were clear
rules regarding which were the first and last call types produced, and
combinations were highly stereotyped. Two of the three call combination
clusters were produced outside of feeding contexts, but their function remains
unclear and further research is required to determine possible functions and
whether these combinations could be behaviour- or group-specific.

For the co-authors,
Anna Selbmann

PhD Candidate
Faculty of Life and Environmental Sciences
University of Iceland