Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce our new publication in
Marine Mammal Science.

Kobayashi, H., Ikuta, S., & Kobayashi, M. (2023). First aerial observation
of Sato's beaked whales (Berardius minimus) above the Abashiri Submarine
Canyon, Hokkaido, Japan. Marine Mammal Science, 1–8 (Early view).
https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13099

On May 8, 2023, we found three groups of whales that appeared to be Sato's
beaked whales around the Abashiri Submarine Canyon, Hokkaido, Japan, and
successfully captured aerial videos using UAVs. In this paper, representing
the first of its kind, we describe the external morphology of these whales
in images captured by UAVs.

A digest of the aerial videos captured during this survey is available on
the YouTube channel of the Tokyo University of Agriculture.
https://youtu.be/XNtY4p1t_5o?si=w7wsXNzDBhVv1IAi

Best regards,

Hayao Kobayashi
Tokyo University of Agriculture

Kobayashi Hayao Ph.D.

Tokyo University of Agriculture
Department of Ocean and Fisheries Sciences
Postdoctoral researcher
196 Yasaka, Abashirishi, Hokkaido, 099-2493, Japan.

TEL:080-5270-9906
Mail:physeter0...@gmail.com