Dear MARMAMers,

On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to share our recent publication in
Biodiversity and Conservation, below:

Saüt, M.M., Monteiro D.S., Prado, J.H.,  Pennino, M.G., Secchi, E.R. 2024.
Identifying priority areas using a multispecies approach
for the conservation of marine megafauna species vulnerable to bycatch in
commercial gillnet fisheries. Biodiversity and Conservation.
https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-023-02748-y
<https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-023-02748-y>

Abstract
Bycatch is one of the main causes of mortality among marine megafauna around
the world. In the coastal waters of southern Brazil, bycatch in gillnet
fisheries affects threatened species that use this region as a breeding and
feeding area. The identification of hotspot areas of bycatch is necessary to
design and prioritize efficient spatial–temporal closures that protect the
largest possible number of threatened species of marine megafauna. In this
context, the use of a multispecies approach is an important step towards
planning effective fisheries management measures. This study has two main
objectives: (1) to identify hotspot areas of bycatch in gillnet fisheries for
the most threatened marine megafauna species on the continental shelf of Rio
Grande do Sul (RS); (2) compare single species and multispecies mapping methods
for the identification of these areas. To meet these objectives, data collected
by onboard observers during fishing trips in the coastal commercial RS-based
gillnet fleet between 2013 and 2015 and between 2018 and 2020 were analyzed.
For the identification of the areas, hierarchical Bayesian spatio-temporal
models were implemented, using monospecific and multispecific approaches and a
weighting system for the conservation status of the species. Both approaches
provide similar results, identifying three bycatch hotspots according to the
time frame analysed. Based on our findings, we propose these areas as the
top candidates for fishing exclusion zones, based on their biodiversity value.
The suggested spatio-temporal closures would benefit several endangered species
while also contributing to the recovery of fish populations.

Kind regards,

Edu
--
Eduardo R. Secchi, PhD